Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low efficiency of DSN normalization

We have set up a protocol for RNA-seq based on adapter-ligation to RNA-fragments. For ribosome removal, I would like to use the DSN normalization method, which is said to work better than bead-based methods (according to Illumina).

The problem is that the efficiency seems to be very low. Our genomics department is performing the normalization for us prior to sequencing the libraries on an Illumina GA-II. I mapped the results to the reference genome and found that still on average 90 - 95 % of the reads map to ribosomal loci. Untreated samples typically have 98-99%. Thus, it's working but not satisfyingly.

The sequence is a large bacterial genome (6.2 Mb).

Does anyone have experience with DSN and could give us a hint on how to improve the efficiency?
    What are the ribosome ratios that you can typically achieve with the protocol (Illumina states ~15%).

Do you have an accurate measurement of the ng mass of the library you are DSN treating? I have been doing a lot of DSN (granted with mammalian) and I find that you really need to be in that 80-100 ng range measured by picogreen.

I still see probably 1/10 that fail but that is most likely due to me losing the CoT during treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by mnkyboy View Post
      Do you have an accurate measurement of the ng mass of the library you are DSN treating? I have been doing a lot of DSN (granted with mammalian) and I find that you really need to be in that 80-100 ng range measured by picogreen.

I still see probably 1/10 that fail but that is most likely due to me losing the CoT during treatment.
      Yes, DNA concentration was measured with Qubit, which should be reliable.

Any more ideas?

We have been tightly following the Illumina protocol for DSN. Losing a constant temperate may always be an explanation but the technicians performing the protocol are well aware of this issue.

Comment

A temperature drop should have the reverse effect - digestion of secondary structures.

Have you tested the enzyme to see if it is still active? Is it possible your incubation temperature is too high?

Comment

Run the provided control with the protocol they have and that will tell you if your enzyme is still working. It is a short protocol and you can check results on gel or BioAnalyzer.

Comment

Originally posted by irit View Post
            A temperature drop should have the reverse effect - digestion of secondary structures.

Have you tested the enzyme to see if it is still active? Is it possible your incubation temperature is too high?
            Yes, the enzyme works fine on control dsDNA.

Incubation temperature was 68° according to the Illumina protocol.
            So, could it help to reduce Temperature by a few degrees?
            We have currently no idea on the effect of altering the parameters like incubation Temp./Time and Hybridization Temp./Time.
            We are doing some experiments on that but I would still highly appreciate input from experienced DSN users.
            Thank you all for the previous replies.

Comment

We encountered very similar problems (low efficiency of normalization) when using bovine samples. Thus, we decreased the hybridization and incubation temperature from 68° to 66° and 64° C, but this did not improve normalization. We had also confirmed that the DSN worked by performing the test protocol

Comment

We worked with more than 8,000 library prep until today, so we are not inexperienced users here for Illumina library prep.

However, DSN is not the way to go if you want to remove ribosomal RNA!

DSN works beautifully for small amount of input total RNA, even below picogreen detection level, but not an effective method to remove ribosomal RNA. Typically you will expect to have >60% of your reads are aligned to rRNA sequences.

Go with ribo minus or ribo zero type of removal methods.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                  04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses