SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Agilent Bioanalyzer alternatives? rmetz Sample Prep / Library Generation 20 06-18-2015 12:14 AM
Agilent Sure Select athos Illumina/Solexa 2 01-28-2011 12:47 PM
Raindance vs Agilent rrodriguez SOLiD 0 09-13-2010 12:46 AM
agilent niceday RNA Sequencing 0 06-02-2010 03:10 AM
Agilent SureSelect enrichment javier Sample Prep / Library Generation 1 03-30-2010 11:39 AM

Old 01-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
ECO
--Site Admin--

Default Agilent TapeStation 2200?

Anyone tried one as a bioanalyzer replacement? 1-16 samples, vague but seems to load itself from strips or plates , can use partial chips. Not quite automatable/walk-away for a full plate, but a lot closer than the Bioanalyzer.

Would love to hear opinions or experiences (or better yet, data!)

Product page here: https://www.genomics.agilent.com/Gen...om&pageid=2617

Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=N2DU_Udvvts
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Heisman

We are acquiring one. Not entirely sure when but I'll definitely play with it when I get a chance. I really have no idea when, though. We did just place the order last week so maybe soon.
Heisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
winegard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECO View Post
Anyone tried one as a bioanalyzer replacement? 1-16 samples, vague but seems to load itself from strips or plates , can use partial chips. Not quite automatable/walk-away for a full plate, but a lot closer than the Bioanalyzer.

Would love to hear opinions or experiences (or better yet, data!)

Product page here: https://www.genomics.agilent.com/Gen...om&pageid=2617

Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=N2DU_Udvvts
I don't have any direct experience but have some colleagues that had a demo of it and loved it. Anyhow the take home is that it seems they will run a demo for you to judge for yourself (Which I plan to do very soon).
winegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
mnkyboy

We are demoing one soon will report back.
mnkyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
LAH

Would you mind sharing any information you get about the shelf life of the reagents and "tape"?
LAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
MrGuy

I demo'd one, seems fine. It's simpler to use than a bioanalyzer, so nothing special. My big issue is the pricing. I'm getting told it costs as follows:

List: 49,000 USD
Negotiated: 34,000 USD

From my sources I have the following:
List: 43,000 USD
Negotiated: 25-30,000 USD

What alternatives are there to the Agilent Bioanalyzer and Tape Station? They can't be the only game in town.
MrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:00 AM   #7
winegard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGuy View Post
What alternatives are there to the Agilent Bioanalyzer and Tape Station? They can't be the only game in town.
There's the BioRad Experion.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:07 AM   #8
MrGuy

Ok, so we have the following...

BioRad Experion
Shimadzu MultiNA
Qiagen Qiaxcel
Caliper Labchip

None of them seem to get down to the same level of sensitivity (2 or 3 orders of magnitude) as the Agilent equipment. Most of the alternatives seem to focus on PCR-gel replacement.

http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15098

Last edited by MrGuy; 07-25-2012 at 02:55 AM.
MrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:57 AM   #9
TonyBrooks

We had a very quick play on the Shimadzu and were suitably impressed. It's no way near as sensitive as the Bioanalyser, but for QC steps where there is lots of material (>10ng/ÁL) it looks decent enough.
The best thing about it is you can load a 96 well plate of samples and walk away which is just what we need for high throughput protocols. A whole plate takes a few hours as there are four capillaries. It saves having to spend a day running Bioanalyser chips which is currently a big bottleneck for us (as well as being a bit soul destroying when needing to QC a few hundred samples). Each sample costs about 30p to run so it's also much cheaper.
Unfortunately, we're feeling the squeeze at the moment, otherwise we would have definitely considered buying one.
TonyBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
QSU88

We bought one. it's been used for a month, good for quick QC assessment, extension run gives more chance to run sample longer without using new sample.
QSU88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #11
JakobHedegaard

We are considering a LabchipGX (Caliper).
Anyone with experience running it in the lab? Good and bad issues?
JakobHedegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
surfnturf

Would look to the tape station if using less than 6 samples a day on a regular basis, but once a lane has been punctured the rest of the tape has limited half life, and the cost per sample is high with the tape and special tips for sample loading. Considering the fragment analyzer by advanced analytical since running 12+ samples a day and may ramp that up further. Plated based , CE with 12 or 96 cap setup, high sensitivity (50 pg/ul for pre NGS fragments), resolves fragments up to 20 kb, analyzes gDNA, and has low cost per sample. Writing it into a grant, hope to get one ASAP.
surfnturf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #13
Smriti

Hi Surfnturf,

We have observed lot of variability in sizing for genomic DNA using AATI gDNA kit. They claim its only for checking intactness of DNA and not accurate sizing. Which kit do u guys use for sizing on AATI instrument. Lower bp kit seems to work better. But we are more worried for higher bps as NGS market is moving towards higher fragments.

Any suggestions?
Smriti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #14
K.Hopkins

We recently had a TapeStaion on demo and it is quicker to get running than the bioanalyzer. The problem we had is that the High Sensitivity kits only size up to 1000bp, above this and the data is out of reach, and it is not uncommon for our libraries to be round this figure.

We were told the gDNA kit would work on these libraries. Has anyone tried this kit? as I have a few concerns about the sensitivity of it.
K.Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #15
winegard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakobHedegaard View Post
We are considering a LabchipGX (Caliper).
Anyone with experience running it in the lab? Good and bad issues?

Hi Jakob,

We have a Caliper GXII but have not used it to it's full potential. It's actually quite a good machine - the one limitation of it (that caused us to stop using it for a while) is that it cannot handle gDNA. In fact, if there is gDNA in your sample at all, it will clog the sipper chip, so you have to remove gDNA before running samples which was our problem.

That being said - I'm considering bringing it out of retirement as we are now doing a lot of NGS work and it will be very handy for looking at our libraries etc...

Neil
Old 02-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #16
rghan

Can anyone with Agilent 2200 TapeStation experience comment on how it interprets quality for plant RNA? (This would be a quality check prior to library creation) I just sent two plates to a sequencing center and am seeing some serious degradation in my RNA, based on RIN value, that I did not see when running the tests internally at my institution. At least to me, the instrument does not call the rRNA peaks correctly or in a consistent manner from one sample to the next, compared to bioanalyzer 2100 or biorad's experion (I use both internally).

cheers-
ryan
rghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:10 AM   #17
elbe

PLease take a look at AATI Fragment Analyzer
http://www.aati-de.com/instruments/f...zer/index.html
elbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #18
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rghan View Post
Can anyone with Agilent 2200 TapeStation experience comment on how it interprets quality for plant RNA? (This would be a quality check prior to library creation) I just sent two plates to a sequencing center and am seeing some serious degradation in my RNA, based on RIN value, that I did not see when running the tests internally at my institution. At least to me, the instrument does not call the rRNA peaks correctly or in a consistent manner from one sample to the next, compared to bioanalyzer 2100 or biorad's experion (I use both internally).

cheers-
ryan
Hi Ryan,
I think my answer is very late but hopefuly it will help our other researcher friends. At the moment the tapestation software doesnt have the functionality to give RINe for plant samples. Its validated and is accurate only for eucaryotic samples.
Cheers, Sara
Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:52 AM   #19
northpaw

I think he jury is in on this one. Illumina evaluated all systems on the market to improve reliability, throughput, and dynamic range of analysis for their workflows. This of course included the TapeStation. Illumina doesn't recommend the TapeStation, they have recommended the BA as you know for years.

Do a google search for the Illumina Automation Partners webpage. Scroll down and you will find the Advanced Analytical Fragment Analyzer (FA).

Illumina R&D has integrated the FA into multiple divisions including Consumables Product Development, Diagnostics, and Oncology. They are even starting to release new sample prep kits with the FA as a recommended QC platform.

The latest was the TruSeq RNA Access kit. They have a tech note for degraded RNA sample analysis that describes how they use custom software settings on the FA to streamline analysis of a new critical QC metric for RNA samples they call DV200.

You can find this in a google search on the Illumina website:

[PDF]Evaluating RNA Quality from FFPE Samples - Illumina
res.illumina.com/documents/.../technotes/technote-truseq-rna-access.pdf
Technical Note: RNA Sequencing. Introduction. The TruSeq« RNA Access Kit provides an exon-capture, RNA-Seq approach for difficult samples such as RNA …

If you work with FFPE or any samples prone to degradation by digestive enzymes, you should definitely check out this new kit from Illumina. Its pretty amazing.
northpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #20
ddpuskas

Default LabChip GX Touch - PerkinElmer

You should consider PerkinElmer's new instrument for QC...LabChip GX Touch. There is a low-throughput version 1-24 samples and high-throughput version up to 384.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGuy View Post
I demo'd one, seems fine. It's simpler to use than a bioanalyzer, so nothing special. My big issue is the pricing. I'm getting told it costs as follows:

List: 49,000 USD
Negotiated: 34,000 USD

From my sources I have the following:
List: 43,000 USD
Negotiated: 25-30,000 USD

ddpuskas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bioanalyzer, sizing, tapestation