No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-C methylation in Bismark .cov files

Hi
    I am analyzing RRBS using TrimGalore/Bismark and the methylation extractor, and am noticing quite a few non-C (T, A, and G) methylation signals (maybe 20% compared to C, by eye). Is this a normal technical artifact that has been observed?
    Thanks
    --Bryan

In the case of G, that is a C, just on the other strand. In the case of T or A, that's either an off by 1 error or the sequence you're looking at is different from the sequence against which the aligning was done.

Comment

Thanks for the replay Devon.
      Is the 'off by 1 error' common? What would cause this?
      --Bryan

Comment

Off by 1 errors are quite common (common enough that it has its own wikipedia article). The likely cause is the file using 1-based coordinates while whatever you're using to visualize things assumes it's using 0-based coordinates. I remember this being an issue with some of bismark's output at one point, though I don't know what the status of that is. If you look at those and there's an appropriate C (or G, depending on how things were done) just to the right, then that's what's going on.

Comment

Wouldn't off-by-1 errors more result in 50/50 values than 20%? I'd be happy to have a closer look at whatever problems you are running into, just drop me a line.

Comment

Given the non-random distribution of bases in the genome, probably not.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses