No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6-99bp indels with BWA/GATK

Hi,

I am using BWA and GATK to detect mutations in BRCA1. The BRCA1 sequences have been Sanger validated and contain known mutations. I am achieving a fair degree of accuracy so far, successfully detecting 99% of SNPs and over 90% of Indels. The majority of false negatives are for Indels over 5 bp in size. These range from 6-99bp in length. Can anyone recommend what command line parameters/values could be used to get the aligner to pick up some of the larger indels?

Thanks in advance.

I am now getting all Indels up to 29bp in length. I achieved this by increasing the maximum number of permitted gap extensions with bwa aln -e 50.

I will continue to experiment in order to get the larger indels.

Comment

Do you perform a base recalibration step with GATK before calling indels?

Comment

Originally posted by genericforms View Post
        Do you perform a base recalibration step with GATK before calling indels?
        Indeed I do.

Comment

I have been trying to call indels with GATK UnifiedGenotyper from BWA-mapped BAMs for some time now, but with no success.

Did you have to use anything outside of the default parameters with UnifiedGenotyper or COuntCovariates/TableRecalibration? Others with this problem have found that it could be sequencing error rates in the sample were too high.

If you dont mind, could you post a couple command lines from your pipeline? I'm particularly interested in your UnifiedGenotyper and base recalibration commands. It would be an immense help.

Comment

Originally posted by oiiio View Post
            I have been trying to call indels with GATK UnifiedGenotyper from BWA-mapped BAMs for some time now, but with no success.

Did you have to use anything outside of the default parameters with UnifiedGenotyper or COuntCovariates/TableRecalibration? Others with this problem have found that it could be sequencing error rates in the sample were too high.

If you dont mind, could you post a couple command lines from your pipeline? I'm particularly interested in your UnifiedGenotyper and base recalibration commands. It would be an immense help.
            I am pretty sure my commands are very standard. Nonetheless, you are welcome to have a look!

for file in *fastq; do bwa aln -e 50 -f ${file%%.fastq}.sai chr17hg19 ${file}; done

for file in *sai; do bwa samse chr17hg19 ${file} ${file%%.sai}.fastq > ${file%%.sai}.sam; done

for file in *bam; do java -Xmx3g -jar /home/goliver/ngs_software/picard-tools-1.53/SortSam.jar I=${file} O=${file%%.bam}_sorted.bam SO=coordinate; done

for file in *_sorted.bam; do java -Xmx3g -jar /home/goliver/ngs_software/picard-tools-1.53/MarkDuplicates.jar I=${file} O=${file%%.bam}_ndup.bam M=metric TMP_DIR=./tmp REMOVE_DUPLICATES=TRUE VALIDATION_STRINGENCY=LENIENT; done

for file in *ndup.bam; do java -jar /home/goliver/ngs_software/picard-tools-1.53/AddOrReplaceReadGroups.jar I=${file} O=${file%%.bam}_rg.bam SO=coordinate ID=1 LB=Z PL=illumina PU=Z SM=Z; done

for file in *rg.bam; do java -Xmx3g -jar /home/goliver/ngs_software/picard-tools-1.53/BuildBamIndex.jar I=${file} O=${file}.bai; done

for file in *rg.bam; do java -Xmx3g -jar /home/goliver/ngs_software/GenomeAnalysisTK-1.2-24-g6478681/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T RealignerTargetCreator -R ../ref_chr17.hg19.fa -o ${file%%.bam}.intervals -I ${file}; done

for file in *rg.bam; do java -Xmx3g -jar /home/goliver/ngs_software/GenomeAnalysisTK-1.2-24-g6478681/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -I ${file} -R ../ref_chr17.hg19.fa -T IndelRealigner -o ${file%%.bam}_2.bam -targetIntervals ${file%%.bam}.intervals --known ../GATK/dbsnp_132.b37.vcf; done

for file in *_2.bam; do java -Xmx20g -jar /home/goliver/ngs_software/GenomeAnalysisTK-1.2-24-g6478681/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -R ../ref_chr17.hg19.fa -knownSites ../GATK/dbsnp_132.b37.vcf -I ${file} -T CountCovariates -cov QualityScoreCovariate -cov DinucCovariate -cov ReadGroupCovariate -cov CycleCovariate -recalFile ${file%%.bam}.recal.csv --default_read_group 1 --default_platform illumina -nt 4; done

for file in *_2.bam; do java -Xmx3g -jar /home/goliver/ngs_software/GenomeAnalysisTK-1.2-24-g6478681/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -l INFO -R ../ref_chr17.hg19.fa -T TableRecalibration -I ${file} -o ${file%%.bam}.final.bam -recalFile ${file%%.bam}.recal.csv --default_read_group 1 --default_platform illumina; done

for file in *final.bam; do java -Xmx3g -jar /home/goliver/ngs_software/GenomeAnalysisTK-1.2-24-g6478681/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T UnifiedGenotyper -glm BOTH -I ${file} -R ../ref_chr17.hg19.fa -o ${file%%.bam}.vcf; done

Comment

Do you have any paired-end data as opposed to single-ended as you methods suggest? The indel alignment should be better with paired-ends than single ends

Comment

Originally posted by Jon_Keats View Post
                Do you have any paired-end data as opposed to single-ended as you methods suggest? The indel alignment should be better with paired-ends than single ends
                This particular dataset is all single end. I am pretty certain the larger indels can still be detected though...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses