Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Velevt Controll Read Length

Is there any way to exclude the read lengths below certain length say 100bp for denovo assembly using Velvet

Originally posted by nxtgenkid10 View Post
    Is there any way to exclude the read lengths below certain length say 100bp for denovo assembly using Velvet
    I don't think there is a way to specify the reads that go into the contigs with velvet (like you can with Newbler). You can specify the minimum contig length in Velvet, but that is not exactly what you wanted. The best thing to do would be to filter the reads before assembly.

Out of curiosity, why are you wanting to do this? If your data is 454 then Newbler will probably do a better job, in my experience, and if your data is from an Illumina 100bp library then you are not really going to have any variation in read length.

Comment

Originally posted by SES View Post
      I don't think there is a way to specify the reads that go into the contigs with velvet (like you can with Newbler). You can specify the minimum contig length in Velvet, but that is not exactly what you wanted. The best thing to do would be to filter the reads before assembly.

Out of curiosity, why are you wanting to do this? If your data is 454 then Newbler will probably do a better job, in my experience, and if your data is from an Illumina 100bp library then you are not really going to have any variation in read length.
      yes i agree with you i have data with newbler am trying out the results with other assemblers too and see the differences; as i'm new to this arena wanna to know how these tools work .. and thank you for responding back

Comment

So why don't you trust your reads below 100 bp? (Maybe there's a reason for this).
        Velvet uses k-mers, so the reads will be "splitted" into shorter fragments anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by nangillala View Post
          So why don't you trust your reads below 100 bp? (Maybe there's a reason for this).
          Velvet uses k-mers, so the reads will be "splitted" into shorter fragments anyways.
          The thing is that I'm lokking for the reads with Q30+ and feels it may have some adapter contamination; aS i told before I'm new to this and looking for options in the tools to make an clear interpretation from the data in hand

Comment

Originally posted by nxtgenkid10 View Post
            The thing is that I'm lokking for the reads with Q30+ and feels it may have some adapter contamination; aS i told before I'm new to this and looking for options in the tools to make an clear interpretation from the data in hand
            Hi,
            I'm not sure what kind of reads you have: Illumina? 454? SFF format? Fastq?

Assuming you have files in fastq format you could use the fastx toolkit
            to get rid of adapters (Fastq_Clipper). You can also use it to discard sequences shorter than a threshold you choose.
            You may also like the Fastq Quality Filter. You can choose the minimum quality score to keep and the minimum percent of bases that must have this quality.

Hope that helps!?

Comment

Originally posted by nangillala View Post
              Hi,
              I'm not sure what kind of reads you have: Illumina? 454? SFF format? Fastq?

Assuming you have files in fastq format you could use the fastx toolkit
              to get rid of adapters (Fastq_Clipper). You can also use it to discard sequences shorter than a threshold you choose.
              You may also like the Fastq Quality Filter. You can choose the minimum quality score to keep and the minimum percent of bases that must have this quality.

Hope that helps!?
              454 Fastq and thanks that is really helpful

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses