SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Introductions

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ion Torrent PGM vs Illumina MiSeq ramujana Ion Torrent 121 01-05-2016 09:06 AM
Ion Torrent vs MiSeq vs GS Junior razibus General 39 11-08-2015 12:45 PM
Comparison of 454, Illumina & Ion Torrent GlobalFigher Literature Watch 1 06-14-2012 05:28 AM
Metatranscriptome analysis - MiSeq or Ion Torrent? ramsemm Ion Torrent 5 03-06-2012 10:52 AM
Ion Torrent/MiSeq Ordering riegs General 3 12-28-2011 07:30 AM

Old 04-24-2015, 03:42 AM   #1
Ghada

Question comparison of Ion Torrent and Illumina MiSeq

Hello every one
I am working in medical genetics laboratory and need to buy a next generation sequencer machine. the field of next generation sequencer is new for me and we have two offers one from Applied Biosystem (Ion Torrent) and the other from Illumina. i have done a research on the internet and i read the article ( A tale of three next generation sequencing plate forms by Michael A Quail). i am very confused with the new terms like genome coverage and GC bias and error rate. Can you please help me with the decision.
Regards
Ghada
Ghada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:23 AM   #2
GenoMax

Have you looked at this thread: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19432

I do not know what kind of regulatory requirements you are subject to locally but that would ultimately be your primary consideration (if you are searching for a sequencer that can be used for diagnostic purposes but for clinical research sequencing you would have a wider choice).

What applications are you considering for NGS in your lab?
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:54 AM   #3
Ghada

Default Applications for NGS in Medical genetics center

Thank you professor for your concern and quick reply. The thread was very helpful. In the medical genetics center we want to apply NGS in the diagnosis of different genetic disorders, prenatal diagnosis,preimplantation genetic diagnosis, and leukemia in our clinics. Also we are interested in ultra-low coverage sequencing strategy.
Best regards
Ghada
Ghada is offline   Reply With Quote