Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• refSeq gene tables -- all in one file?

Does NCBI have a single, downloadable file containing all refSeq-annotated exons for all genes? This information is available on a browser, one gene at a time, for example:

I'd like to maintain a local database with this information.

See the ftp downloads site:

ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/refseq/release/

Comment

Thank you, mastal.
      I was hoping for something a bit higher level than this, though. If I want to compile an up-to-date list of all annotated exons mapped to the current human reference genome assembly, I need to search through all 468 '...genomic.gbff' files in the 'vertebrate_mammalian' directory. In a somewhat random search of about 20 of these files, I didn't come across one with an entry from the current build (GRCh38.p2), and I don't see an index that may help me limit my search. I suspect that there may be a more direct route to this information; I'm sure NCBI does not search through all this every time they serve up a gene table.

Comment

Thanks, blancha. These are, of course, browser based methods -- one gene at a time, butnice to know!

Comment

Sorry, @memeri, I already deleted my last post, since I wasn't sure it answered your question. I'm putting the information back, since it probably does answer your question.

These are not one gene at a time methods.
          You will get the entire annotation for the whole genome in one file.
          You will have the location of each exon for all the genes.

The refSeq annotation of the exons can easily be downloaded from the UCSC Table Browser, using the RefSeq Track.
          You can select the fields you want, if you don't want all the fields, as well as the format of the output file.

An alternative is to use Ensembl. You can just download a GTF file, or use biomaRt.

Here are the fields available in the refSeq track.

Code:
          name
          chrom
          strand
          txStart
          txEnd
          cdsStart
          cdsEnd
          exonCount
          exonStarts
          exonEnds
          score
          name2
          cdsStartStat
          cdsEndStat
          exonFrames
          You may have to work a bit to get exactly the format you want, but all the information is available from the UCSC Table Browser, Ensembl, and probable GenCode.

I think that answers your question.
          If it doesn't, I'll let someone else try.
          And, I won't delete the post this time.

Comment

So, I've found the answer, for those who may be interested. The file 'GCF_000001405.28_knownrefseq_alignments.gff3' (or the most recent version) in the directory 'ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/refseq/H_sapiens/alignments/' maps every refSeq exon to the current human genome build. Plus you need the file 'gene2accession.gz' in 'ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/DATA/' to map the accession numbers to the geneIDs.

Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks for your second note, blancha. I didn't see it until after I posted my most recent note. I'll look at it more closely to see if it's better than what I came up with. It looks like it returns less irrelevant information in a single download, which is better.
              Mark

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
                Yesterday, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses