Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiSeq Wash question

We just had our MiSeq installed about a month ago, and haven't yet sequenced anything on it. I've just been performing maintenance washes weekly to keep the fluidics system in good shape.

I just performed a Standby wash this week since the instrument has been idle for over 30 days. Now that I've done the Standby wash, is it necessary to keep doing Maintenance washes every week given that we haven't run any DNA yet on the machine? Or can we just let it go for now, until we actually start running samples? (at that point I think we'd perform a maintenance wash before running the DNA)

Hi Krina,
    Just keep following the wash instructions on the MiSeq - the bottom line is that the more you use the fluidics system the less chance you will have of developing biofilms or blockages. I would continue to do maintenance washes each week.

On a side note we have been using the Illumina bleach wash protocols after runs and have found this to be easy and is a good safeguard to (at least minimise) carry-over. Cheers, Mike

Comment

Hi bunce,

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it. Did you find the bleach wash protocol on the Illumina website?

Best,
      Krina

Comment

Hi Krina, the wash protocol is attached together with the xml - there maybe a more up-to-date version of this now? I am not sure how easy this is to find on the illumina site. You just need to make sure the xml finds it into the correct place (v2, v3 etc) - some users were putting it in the wrong location apparently.

We have replaced the post-run wash with the bleach protocol... then after the bleach was we run a 'pseudo'-maintainance wash (three times with the same wash solution). We have done the latter to make sure the bleach is flushed - it is probably not necessary but we have always done it.
        Attached Files

Comment

This is very helpful, thank you very much bunce!

Comment

How to get the bleach protocol

Hi, I just wrote a new post on my blog, http://core-genomics.blogspot.co.uk/...ng-bleach.html which describes the bleach protocol and how to get it.

Comment

Miseq wash question

Does anyone know where I may find miseq wash record from miseq computer? Any folder or file? Thanks in advance.

Another one: if I have next run maybe in 2 or 3 weeks, I don't want to do stand-by wash, what will you suggest? Thanks again.

Comment

I'm not sure about a log for the wash dates and times on the MiSeq.

If you plan to not run anything for 2 weeks, just do a post-run wash each week and you should be fine. I've heard lately that Illumina does not recommend doing the standby wash and then leaving the instrument idle for multiple weeks-- apparently they prefer if you just do a post-run wash each week with monthly maintenance washes. As others have said already, the more you use the fluidics system, the less likely the instrument is to develop blockages or films in the lines.

Comment

Thank you, Jessica L, sounds very clear and simple to follow.

Comment

Does anyone know where I may find WashStatus.xml files on the MiSeq?

Comment

I think it's root level on the C:\ or D:\ drive.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                      0 responses