SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Download BaseSpace runs from an Ubuntu (Linux) box cement_head Illumina/Solexa 22 05-30-2017 01:12 PM
Problems with Bio-linux/Ubuntu 14.04 Kimist99 Bioinformatics 16 04-24-2015 05:25 AM
Problems using wgsim in Linux/Ubuntu Kimist99 Bioinformatics 12 11-11-2013 07:30 PM
Hello from NVIDIA JonCohen Introductions 1 02-06-2013 08:56 AM
Core Cluster Setup - Linux, Ubuntu, Rocks, Data Storage, BluArc quantrix Bioinformatics 16 10-05-2012 10:46 AM

Old 11-19-2019, 11:11 AM   #1
smoics

Default Nvidia drivers login loop plus flickering/blinking screen-Ubuntu 18.04 Linux

Got stuck in the login loop. I hard restarted the computer....went into the terminal and was having some path issues (I wanted to uninstall nvidia drivers). Ended up rebooting thru the terminal--it took me to the option of restarting in recovery mode, which I did. However, now when I try to go back into the terminal (ctl+alt+F3), the screen is blinking/flickering. So it is very difficult to enter in my username, not to mention the impossibility of typing in the password.

What can I do to fix this or at least get back into the terminal? I'll note that this all happened immediately after a MinIon run stopped, so if there's any way/need to do a backup, that would be great, too.

Also, if you have any permanent ways to fix the nvidia drivers--I'm all ears.
smoics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
SNPsaurus
Registered Vendor

Can you login via ssh from another computer to avoid the flickering?
Old 11-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #3
smoics

Is that something I would need to have already set up? I've never done that before.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #4
SNPsaurus
Registered Vendor

It depends on the installation. On a mac laptop, open your terminal and
ssh username@IP.address (with your username and your server's IP address) and then give your password. On a PC/chromebook get a ssh chrome plugin and do the same.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
smoics

I don't know our computer's IP address. Found directions for accessing it via the BIOs settings; however, I don't seem to have the IPMI configuration option & didn't manage to find it elsewhere. So maybe I can't do this since I've never set up remote access before? Do you know somewhere else where I could find my IP address (while I'm still "locked out?")?

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19902-01...348/gjsbe.html
Old 11-20-2019, 05:43 PM   #6
SNPsaurus
Registered Vendor

Sorry, that's out of my area. Your IT support might know it if it is a static IP, or have a way to look it up from the jack if it is assigned.

Tags
bioinformatics issues, driver, linux system, minion, ubuntu