No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Help

Hey guys,
    This is a newbie question, but really having hard time setting up Bowtie and would really appreciate if someone helps me through this. I did read the tutorial on the website, but everytime i put the code in terminal or windows command prompt, just gives me an error.

Could someone explain how to get Bowtie or Bowtie 2 started?
    Thanks for your help in advance.

Nobody can explain to you better then the program documentation because no one knows what you did, what error messages you get, what machine you have, you operating system, etc.

You need to spend the time and create a very detailed and clear post.

Some say there's no such thing as a stupid question. Those people are idiots. It all comes down to asking the right question(s) in the right way.

Good luck.
    --------------
    Ethan

Comment

I know it sounds stupid, but i really need to get this program started.

I am using windows 7 and using windows command prompt. I downloade Bowtie binary from their website and it said to issue the command (i was lost right here...am i supposed to write a command in CMD or is there a program that i need to get).

what i did so far is, uncompressed the binary and opened CMD and got to the folder by using the cd 'foldername" and i am assuming this is where " bowtie e_coli reads/e_coli_1000.fq" command but it keeps giving me an error saying "is not recognized as an internal or external
      command, operable program or batch file"

here is the bowtie tutorial website http://bowtie-bio.sourceforge.net/tutorial.shtml

thnx for the help

Comment

if you don't have bowtie in your path, then you need to access it using relative file names ('"c:\bowtieDirectory\bowtie" "e_coli reads\e_coli_1000.fq"'). The tutorial was designed for people to use it on a GNU/Linux system, which is why there are forward slashes in the file names. If you're going to be doing command-line bioinformatics, I would seriously consider getting a Linux computer set up for use.

Comment

Originally posted by gringer View Post
          if you don't have bowtie in your path, then you need to access it using relative file names ('"c:\bowtieDirectory\bowtie" "e_coli reads\e_coli_1000.fq"'). The tutorial was designed for people to use it on a GNU/Linux system, which is why there are forward slashes in the file names. If you're going to be doing command-line bioinformatics, I would seriously consider getting a Linux computer set up for use.
          And I suggest you start learning some Unix because to do extensive Next Gen Sequencing analysis you will need it.

A very good starting point as many in this forum has mentioned is the "Unix and Perl Primer for Biologists" from this link:

Comment

thnx for the help
            much appreciated.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
            0 responses