No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique mapper on genome - multi mapper on transcriptome

Hi everybody,
    I'm analyzing iCLIP data (technique to study protein-RNA interactions on a genome-wide scale). I have two populations bound by the protein of interest - small RNA and mRNA.
    I take all reads that map uniquely to the genome and i wanted to know all transcript that are bound by our protein of interest.
    But i have a problem, i use bowtie to map unique mapper reads on the genome tothe transcriptome, but unique mapper on the genome became multi mapper on transcriptome, i'm confused, how to deal with it ? I have some very small reads ( the smallest are 13 nt).
    How can i assign reads to transcript without mistake, i mean how to deal with reads aligning to multiple genes ?
    do i have to associate each read with all transcripts it aligns to?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by StephaniePi83; 08-07-2012, 12:49 AM.

Hi Stephanie,

I wonder if you have published your iCLIP study recently. I am keen to learn about how to analyse iCLIP data.

Comment

Thanks Stephanie. I am still trying to decode many parts of the analysis section of that paper. Did you end up using any other bioinformatics tools apart from bowtie? I am not to certain how to extract annotation data from my map.

Comment

After removing adapter from my reads, i mapped all read on the genome allowing up to 2 mismatches with bowtie. I translate bowtie output file to bed file; then i use Bedtools (intersectBed function) to annotate all reads.

Comment

Hi Stephanie,

What tools did you use to randomise iCLIP position when doing the pentamer z-score analysis?

Comment

Hi Paul,
            I didn't do this analysis neither the statistical analysis. My supervisor send our data to a person who did a pipeline to analyse iclip data (he did all bioinformatic analysis in the paper i send you).
            Last edited by StephaniePi83; 09-04-2012, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, there isn't anything weird about unique genome mappers that are also multiple transcriptome mappers. Consider a read that spans a splice junction and can be uniquely mapped to the genome. If the gene containing the splice junction has multiple isoforms containing that splice junction, the read will map to multiple isoforms in the transcriptome reference. Does that answer the question?

Comment

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, there isn't anything weird about unique genome mappers that are also multiple transcriptome mappers. Consider a read that spans a splice junction and can be uniquely mapped to the genome. If the gene containing the splice junction has multiple isoforms containing that splice junction, the read will map to multiple isoforms in the transcriptome reference. Does that answer the question?

Comment

Ah ic... That was a great idea. I should suggest that to my supervisor too actually.

Comment

Hi kopi-o,
                    This is what i was thinking ! it map to all transcript of the same gene on transcriptome, and some reads will map to exon-exon juction that are not present on the genome.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                    • seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                    0 responses