Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experience with BGI?

We have been amassing materials and whatnot for the lab's first RNAseq experiment, and we've been noticing that BGI's prices for generating libraries and running them to be fairly competitive (they say $450/0.5 Gb) and seemingly hassle-free (as compared to buying all the library construction/clustering kits etc. and running them ourselves). Does anybody out there have experience with these guys, positive or otherwise?

Many thanks for any insights.

Originally posted by iquigley View Post
    We have been amassing materials and whatnot for the lab's first RNAseq experiment, and we've been noticing that BGI's prices for generating libraries and running them to be fairly competitive (they say $450/0.5 Gb) and seemingly hassle-free (as compared to buying all the library construction/clustering kits etc. and running them ourselves). Does anybody out there have experience with these guys, positive or otherwise?

Many thanks for any insights.
    Do you have core facilities in your own institution? Quality competitive is more important than price competitive
    Marco

Comment

what are people's experiences with BGI in terms of quality? In particular for RNAseq.

Comment

Originally posted by seeker View Post
        what are people's experiences with BGI in terms of quality? In particular for RNAseq.
        Believe me or not. (I dont take any responsibility) BAD, I would say it. sucks for my personal dealing with them. If you want quality data, please go to your core facility or buy yourself a PGM

I think this forum is free to express my personal feeling, if you are okay with BGI, It is fine. If you are not familiar with BGI, go somewhere else, you probably get much better service and after sale experience elsewhere. Buzz factory deserves buzz comment.
        Marco

Comment

Thanks for the input Marco. What exactly was the issue (or issues) in your case? Some dept.mates have had good experiences with de novo genome sequencing and would like as much info as possible before making any decisions.

Anyone else care to weigh in?

Comment

Ha? Do you believe RNASeq data takea half a year to deliver. And finally arrive as invalid fastq file AND sequenced with wrong techmology?
            Marco

Comment

Ouch! This is the reason I'm looking to go elsewhere, my core facility has taken as long! Although the files look ok. Sorry to hear about your experience. That's rough.

Comment

That is good to look for alternative, but I dont think BGI would be your potential candidates. In your core facility, at least you know whom to complain to.

That is more than rough but sucks.

Sorry for my wordings.

Initially I dont walk to talk so much on my experience. But as you ask about it, I dont think i have any reason to hide.
                Marco

Comment

I'm pleased with my raw data and quality from small RNA-seq, BUT their bioinformatics miRNAs analysis was terrible and useless for publication (even wrong in some cases, I can prove it), so we have dome the analysis from the ground zero ourselves.

so I'm looking for some new companies before our GAIIx comes
                  Last edited by vebaev; 12-22-2011, 11:24 AM.
                  ------------
                  SMART - bioinfo.uni-plovdiv.bg

Comment

We often reanalyse the data for local universities that BGI have generated because the bioinformatics support has been so poor. Data quality that we have seen has been variable, and we often hear complaints about the amount of time to get the results back. This is all second hand experience, as we carry out our own and customers sequencing ourselves.
                    Jo Mason

[email protected]

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses