SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BWA alignment of multiple read files, the order of processing matters? gene_x Bioinformatics 8 07-12-2013 12:20 PM
Bowtie2 Bug: error reporting multiple alignments all_your_base Bioinformatics 0 10-31-2012 11:17 AM
Tools for estimation of indels and refinement for multiple sequence alignments rdlady Bioinformatics 0 09-07-2012 07:06 AM
multiple alignments with BWA efoss Bioinformatics 0 08-07-2011 11:37 AM
How many multiple alignments to allow? hlwright Bioinformatics 0 04-13-2011 11:40 PM

Old 09-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
Giles

Default BWA & multiple alignments per read

Bowtie clearly indicates in its manual that it will randomly assign any read for which there are multiple equally valid alignments. I can not see any such discussion regarding the "mem" aligner for BWA. Can anyone tell me how BWA handles multiple alignments per read, and what the default settings are?
Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
lh3

Only outputs the best hit or a random one if there are multiple. You can ask to report more with -a. Note that bwa-mem may report chimeric alignments, but those are different from multiple mappings you are talking about.
lh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
A_Morozov

Can anyone please explain me why the default behaviour is to randomly choose one of mappings? Making sense of multiple mappings is big enough headache without mapper hiding half the results from you.
A_Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
swbarnes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Morozov View Post
Can anyone please explain me why the default behaviour is to randomly choose one of mappings? Making sense of multiple mappings is big enough headache without mapper hiding half the results from you.
I guess it's so that coverage across repetitive regions is comparable to that of unique regions. If you give all the reads to each of 10 repetitive regions, coverage at each will be 10x higher than the rest of the genome.

If a region is repeated 100 times, it will have 100x coverage as compared to the rest of the genome, which would really screw with trying to count how well the rest of the genome is covered.
swbarnes2 is offline   Reply With Quote