Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just starting a large project in a new lab - unsure of equipment needs

We are starting up a project and plan to use MiSeq for analysis later. I am purchasing some new equipment and can't find any specifics on why it might be better to get a PCR workstation with laminar flow rather than dead air!! We have a regular fume hood in the lab already. I just want to decrease possible contamination for PCR prep and planned to get a UV PCR workstation, not realizing this was a possible issue. In the past I have only done projects with low risk of contamination, but now will be using universal primers.

Please help me with pros and cons of each type if you have done these type of projects before.

OK, thanks to the people who looked at my question. Does a failure to answer mean this is just too stupid a question, or that is just doesn't matter, or that nobody has an opinion?

Comment

I suspect that only a handful people on SeqAnswers are qualified to answer your rather specific question. I am not one of those people. Of those people who could answer your question they may either (a) not logging on very often, (b) not reading the 'general' forum (posting in Illumina/Solexa might be better) and/or (c) skipping your post because it has too general of a title. I suggest reposting with the title along the lines of "Need advice on PCR workstation - laminar flow or not?" That should catch the eye of people who know about PCR workstations.

Comment

Thanks Westerman

I appreciate the advice and I'll try that.

Comment

What is your application and why do you think you need a PCR hood? Rare variant detection?

Comment

Hi Eco,
            No we aren't looking for rare variants. Another person on campus who is doing NGS just told us we should probably get a PCR workstation and since we are clueless about NGS we said OK and their hood includes laminar flow. We are using our current hood for some preps involving solvents and tissues that could present a problem - and we only have one hood. So it does seem useful to have a "special clean area" for preps but as I said, I'm not sure we need the $5000 version with laminar flow. We are grateful for any suggestions from people who already know how careful we really need to be.

Comment

A lab bench seems good enough for your purpose - and good technique. A fume hood (you mentioned solvents) is counter productive.

Comment

I think a PCR work station is a good idea. We have a separate clean room where we work only with unamplified DNA or RNA. I would get a work station with a UV light. It doesn't have to have laminar flow.

Clean rooms have positive air flow (the pressure is higher in it than outside).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                • seqadmin
                  The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                  by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                  02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                0 responses