SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > De novo discovery

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Resources for 1000 Genomes laura Bioinformatics 37 08-03-2020 04:22 PM
1000 Genomes analysis workflow m4merg Bioinformatics 1 08-15-2014 04:49 AM
post-assembly genome analysis workflow question tom_mlvs Bioinformatics 2 02-07-2012 10:52 AM
CoComputational Resources on Assembling Genomes raghavagps Bioinformatics 0 01-17-2010 09:56 AM

Old 08-16-2020, 08:43 AM   #1
Rezaeir

Post Resources to learn genome assembly workflow for small genomes (like viruses)

I have sequencing data of a few samples of a `DNA genome virus`. I'd like to learn `de novo assembly` of the `short reads`, making scaffolds from it, and then `counting the abundance` of each strain in the data. I heard about `SPAdes` as a good choice for these kinds of very short genomes. and also `BBmap` for statistics related to contigs.

I am a complete newbie in everything related to de novo assembly. So, I wonder if you could recommend some good `courses/tutorials/papers` for learning all the steps, including units, special vocabularies, analysis steps, and everything else.

I have some experience with analyzing `RNA-seq` and also `small RNA-seq` data. I learned these two using free online resources, however, it is very hard to find even one full workflow post/paper on `genome assembly`.

Note: I know that I should read the documentation on `SPAdes` and `BBmap` and I will. However, I'd like to first get to a good idea of what are the steps, test it on some sample data, and then go through learning different tools. So, it is like saying that I need to learn RNA-seq analysis not read a particular `aligner` documentation.

cross-posted in bioinformatics.stackexchange and biostars.
Rezaeir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assembly, contigs, denovo assembly, scaffolding, spades