SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
About tools for comparing genomes of two different organisms v3borg Bioinformatics 7 03-05-2014 09:19 AM
Comparing mapped reads RNAddict Bioinformatics 2 04-03-2012 04:06 AM
How are you comparing assemblies? Hobbe Bioinformatics 0 02-17-2011 10:38 PM
Comparing Transcriptomes poregide Bioinformatics 1 08-25-2010 11:23 PM
comparing results from two different reference genomes BAJ Bioinformatics 2 02-24-2009 07:38 AM

Old 10-03-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
pulikoti

Default Comparing two proteomes/genomes!

Hi all,

I need suggestions on how to compare two genomes, find out genes that are common between the two and those that are unique. So far i've done a pairwise alignment of each gene in genome1 with the genes in genome2 and vice versa. Kindly help. Thanks
pulikoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
westerman
Rick Westerman

I think you will need to tell us more specifically what type of help you need. Since you have the pairwise alignments of each gene in each genome then it should simple to count up the ones in 'common'. Of course 'common' is a nebulous term -- what level of homology and length do you require.
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
A_Morozov

For start, you can just call pairs of genes with alignment score above certain treshold common, and call those that don't have such pairing unique. This is grossly oversimplified approach, because unless you have some really small genomes (like viral or organellar) some genes are gonna have more than one copy. Are these the same or different or you? And what if some genes are indeed of the same function but derived from distant groups eg via HGT? And are you gonna compare anything other than gene content?
I agree with westerman - you need to tell us more about what exactly question your project must answer if you want us to give valuable advice.
A_Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
Joann

It would be interesting to see what alternative annotations besides alignment score there might be between two evolutionarily diverse genomes that interact, say, in an ecological niche situation
Joann is offline   Reply With Quote