SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Ion Torrent

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ion Torrent $1000 Genome!? Benchtop Ion Proton Sequencer aeonsim Ion Torrent 88 10-28-2012 04:50 AM
GATK and Ion Torrent data NextGenSeb Bioinformatics 2 02-12-2012 08:36 PM
Technical Brief: Processing Ion Torrent Data with RTG Investigator Stewart Noyce Vendor Forum 0 10-19-2011 12:08 PM
Ion Torrent PGM data with Mosaik-aligner Magnus Bioinformatics 0 05-19-2011 03:59 AM
CLC Genomics Workbench goes hand in hand with Ion Torrent data CLC bio Vendor Forum 0 05-12-2011 05:34 AM

Old 02-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
rcorbett

Default Ion Torrent data quality impressions?

Hi.
We have an Ion Torrent PGM where we have sequenced a number of genomes. Looking at the TMAP alignments we definitely see sequencing errors of the indel variety around homopolymer regions in the reference. The homopolymer runs don't necessarily have to be more than two consective bases either.

Some quick analysis showed me that the positions of the indels in the reads aren't completely random, and do stack up in the alignments, which could cause false positives in the indel calling (as well as potentially interfering with true variants that are in the region).

Downloading example E. Coli data from the Life website I see the same sorts of errors.

To my dismay when I google this I find all sorts of technical and sponsored reports from Illumina et al, pointing out the errors in Ion Torrent data. Furthermore, I see the reports getting fired back from Life discounting all the analysis in the first paper, and so it continues.

My question:
Can anyone who has sequenced and analyzed data on the PGM objectively comment on the rate of indels in the reads? I would like to hear if other people have seen what I've seen, or even better if they know of a magic fix.

thanks!
rcorbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
HMorrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcorbett View Post
Hi.
We have an Ion Torrent PGM where we have sequenced a number of genomes. Looking at the TMAP alignments we definitely see sequencing errors of the indel variety around homopolymer regions in the reference. The homopolymer runs don't necessarily have to be more than two consective bases either.

Some quick analysis showed me that the positions of the indels in the reads aren't completely random, and do stack up in the alignments, which could cause false positives in the indel calling (as well as potentially interfering with true variants that are in the region).

Downloading example E. Coli data from the Life website I see the same sorts of errors.

To my dismay when I google this I find all sorts of technical and sponsored reports from Illumina et al, pointing out the errors in Ion Torrent data. Furthermore, I see the reports getting fired back from Life discounting all the analysis in the first paper, and so it continues.

My question:
Can anyone who has sequenced and analyzed data on the PGM objectively comment on the rate of indels in the reads? I would like to hear if other people have seen what I've seen, or even better if they know of a magic fix.

thanks!
I've posted on the Ion Community site recently about some very non-random errors; generally a C or T deletion in a CCTT type motif. Link is http://lifetech-it.hosted.jivesoftwa...sage/6220#6220 .
I had waited to see what information I got from Life Tech about it before coming to this site. They suggested it was a problematic sequence. Would be happy to provide more details or discuss it offline.

Hilary Morrison
HMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
IonTorrent

Here's a recording of Dr. Niall Lennon from the Broad on their experiences with semiconductor sequencing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2nbbBo0zT0
IonTorrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:34 AM   #4
david2

Default error model available for indels?

We are looking into amplicon sequencing for variant detection, some of the genes have several repeat regions and can generate a lot of false positive heterozygous indels.

Is there a model describing how the Ion Torrent generates read errors in this area? With such a model we could adapt our filtering strategy to reduce the false positive rate (although we want to be sure not to miss a true positive).
david2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:48 AM   #5
HMorrison

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonTorrent View Post
Here's a recording of Dr. Niall Lennon from the Broad on their experiences with semiconductor sequencing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2nbbBo0zT0
I don't need the advertisement.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:03 AM   #6
david2

Hilary,
I tried to follow your link to the IT community website, but I get an error message:
"It appears you're not allowed to view what you requested"
(I am registered, but not as a IT customer).
David
Old 03-02-2012, 05:04 AM   #7
david2

Video from Broad: I just lost 10 min. with it, no info on indel read errors
Old 03-02-2012, 05:14 AM   #8
HMorrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by david2 View Post
Hilary,
I tried to follow your link to the IT community website, but I get an error message:
"It appears you're not allowed to view what you requested"
(I am registered, but not as a IT customer).
David
This is what I posted there:

"I've just finished looking through a set of reads from control templates (16S tag sequencing using fusion primers) and see a very interesting (and sad)

error pattern. In this image, the top sequence is the most abundant *incorrect* read; the bottom (blue) is the correct read. Number of each is at the left. Ecoli tag results--less than 4% perfect reads. We have 43 controls including K12; the percent correct varied from 0% up to 82%. Seems to have happened on both runs, same day; one was 314 and the other 316. Some more investigation to do."

They told us it was a difficult sequence and to try the enzyme in the 200 nt sequencing kit.

IT_ErrorPattern.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IT_ErrorPattern.jpg (91.7 KB, 246 views)

Last edited by HMorrison; 03-02-2012 at 05:14 AM. Reason: added text
Old 03-02-2012, 06:06 AM   #9
david2

Thanks Hilary for the details, interesting case indeed.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
low99

Unfortunately this is an inherent problem of the 454, Ion Torrent and probably the Proton chemistry. It is well documented. This if from the NEJM article on the sequencing on the German EColi outbreak :
"We also performed sequencing on the Illumina HiSeq platform in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. An initial single-end run was used to correct errors in the Ion Torrent sequence, principally in homopolymeric tracts. "

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056...featured_home&
low99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
ngseq

Default CCTT calling error

Wow, this would be very a big issue if proven to be a reproducible error for PGM. But given how many CCTTs there are in genomes (occuring once in every 256bp in totally random sequence) one would image this would have been identified much earlier in-house by LT. Looks like it may have something to do with specific context within in which a CCTT lies?

Thanks Hilary for the very intriguing observation. Have any other PGM users seen this?

Last edited by ngseq; 03-17-2012 at 04:33 PM.
ngseq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #12
HMorrison

Default Non-random error reduced with new enzyme

I would love to know what the two different enzymes are, but whatever enzyme is included in the 200 nt PGM sequencing kit has almost eliminated the problem I first reported. Errors are mainly in what I would consider true homopolymer runs (i.e. more than two of the same base). Much more likely to continue using the system for pyrotag-like (ph-tag?) sequencing.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #13
jonathanjacobs

FWIW - there's a parrallel discussion about this at the IonTorrent community here.

http://lifetech-it.hosted.jivesoftwa.../2299?tstart=0

As Hmorrison mentioned - the 200nt kit largely eliminates this issue.
jonathanjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:50 AM   #14
HMorrison

Default Parallel discussions

I know; I posted it there too. LifeTech doesn't seem to like me using SeqAnswers exclusively.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:52 AM   #15
ngseq

thanks! looks like we should try to stick to 200nt kits.
ngseq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #16
epistatic

Are there any datasets available to analyze with the 200 nt kit? I'm interested in the ampliseq cancer panel but need to understand the expected error profile.

Found they have data posted for the Paired-End AmpliSeq Cancer panel
http://lifetech-it.hosted.jivesoftwa.../docs/DOC-2573

Last edited by epistatic; 03-29-2012 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Link added
epistatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deletion, insertion, ion torrent