Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flow cells

Wondering if anyone knows of platforms using silicon based flow cells? Only in electrical detection or also examples of fluorescence based detection using silicon flow cells? Thanks!!

If you are referring to silicon (SiO2) <--> glass then Illumina is the best known platform. I am reasonably certain that the zero mode waveguides in PacBio SMRT cell have glass at the bottom of the well (since the detection is done by shining a laser through the bottom of the well).

Comment

@GenoMax How do the flow cells from Illumina work? The wells and primers are etched on the silicon side and the glass side is where the laser excited the fluorofores and the lens measures the emission? I can't find on the Illumina website that the wells are etched on silicon, they only seem to mention glass. Thank you!

Comment

The exact process/materials used for the flowcells is probably a trade secret but every flowcell I have looked at appears to be made of excellent quality/optically clear (at least the lane part) glass (never tried to break a flowcell).

Illumina has a number of videos on youtube that superficially describe how the flow cells work.

Illumina has thousands of patents related to flowcells and this one mentions the surface being silicon, glass and plastic.

Ultimately Silica is going to be major component of all "glass" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_dioxide).

Comment

@GenoMax, you seem to be knowing a lot...

It indeed seems to be a bit of a trade secret. The patent mentions "wherein the transparent regions comprise glass, plastic OR silica". From my understanding all flow cells on the market use glass for at least the transparent region/the side where excitation/emission takes place. Although technically silicon or plastic could be used if the right optical density.

It seems that Illumina uses glass for the top part of the flow cell but unclear to me what the bottom part is made off, where the wells are etched and the primers attached. My guess is based on the patent that it's glass coated with polymers, what do you think? So maybe not silicon?

In general for pattered flow cells would the pattern be etched on silicon or can it also be glass, I guess it can be both after the glass is coated with something? Not sure what the pros and cons of each are. Silicon is probably easier to manipulate and glass might be cheaper? Any thoughts on this?

Comment

Non-patterned flowcells are imaged both from top and bottom so both surfaces are likely made of glass (I am no materials scientist but they do seem to be like glass).

YouTube video says that the nanowells are etched into glass (if that is accurate) for patterned flowcells.

Comment

Very interesting. Are there still any non-patterned flow cells on the market? It seems that Illumina now completely move to patterned flow cells.

Comment

Only Illumina can say exactly what percent but patterned cells are likely only a fraction of the total. They may be for a long while.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                • seqadmin
                  The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                  by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                  02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                0 responses