Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• minKNOW (Linux Version)

Anyone used the linux variant of the minION software? (minKNOW)?

Does it work well?

Thanks,
    Andor

I installed it because the Windows version was being annoying. The problem was solved on Ubuntu16.04, but we haven't started a run yet so can't I comment on that.

Comment

I have a small screen, so need to shuffle the windows around to be able to click important things (e.g. the button to start a run), but otherwise it works fine.

Comment

Using Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS AMD64

Did you guys get this install error:

Setting up minknow-map (1.5.5-1~trusty) ...
        insserv: Script minknow is broken: incomplete LSB comment.
        insserv: missing valid name for `Provides:' please add.

The minKNOW GUI seems to load without error (even from terminal; no errors/warnings).

- Andor
        Last edited by cement_head; 04-03-2017, 11:49 AM.

Comment

No, but I should note that I still have to update our installation to the latest version.

Comment

@cement_head: Can you check the suggestion in this post? It may be completely unrelated but worth a check.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that's it, I can't find the bash script to edit.

Comment

Yes, I got that warning. It doesn't affect the running of the program, just means that the people who prepared the package were a bit lazy with fulfilling all the deb package requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by gringer View Post
                  Yes, I got that warning. It doesn't affect the running of the program, just means that the people who prepared the package were a bit lazy with fulfilling all the deb package requirements.
                  Okay, thanks. I cross-posted this bug/warning to the Nanopore Community Forum.

- Andor

Comment

Originally posted by wdecoster View Post
                    I installed it because the Windows version was being annoying. The problem was solved on Ubuntu16.04, but we haven't started a run yet so can't I comment on that.
                    I have been having problems with the linux version as well. I am able to successfully install minKnow on my ubuntu machine but even though I have multiple USB 3 ports none of them are able to detect the sequencer. Did you do any additional installation for it? Is there something I am missing?

Comment

Originally posted by pranalis View Post
                      I have been having problems with the linux version as well. I am able to successfully install minKnow on my ubuntu machine but even though I have multiple USB 3 ports none of them are able to detect the sequencer. Did you do any additional installation for it? Is there something I am missing?
                      You have to reboot after installation.

If you've done that, without starting the MinKnow software, does your computer (OS) see the sequencer?

Open a terminal and type lsusb and see if it's listed; it should show up as per the screenshot, the second <$ lsusb> command show the minION listed as the first device.

Last edited by cement_head; 05-10-2018, 06:47 AM. Reason: added a photo

Comment

For some reason I can't link a image from FLICKR to the forum.

Basically it should show up as:

$ lsusb
                        Bus 002 Device 001: ID 2a1d:001 <there will be no description>
                        Last edited by cement_head; 05-10-2018, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Well I have tried that too. The system doesn't detect the device at all

Comment

Perhaps you are using an unsupported linux distro?

Comment

Originally posted by pranalis View Post
                              Well I have tried that too. The system doesn't detect the device at all
                              Okay, so the issue is NOT the minION, nor the minKNOW software, the issue is your machine.

Do other USB thumbdrives work?

One thing to check is at BOOT, select the BIOS menu (F2, or F7 or F12 or DEL) and make sure that the USB hub is (i) enabled and (ii) enabled for LEGACY as well. Reboot and try again.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                                by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                                02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                              0 responses