No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kmer content

Hello,

I have recently got back my Illumina RNA sequencing dataset and I have used Fastqc software to check its quality. I want to know what is Kmer content and what is its significance?

Thank you
    Subuhi

Hola

A k-mer is a motif (or a small word) of length k observed more than once in a genomic or sequenced sequence. The order of the kmer is defined by its word size.

Examples for 2, 3, and 4

for repeats

acacacacacac.. (this is "AC" dinucleotides)

gacgacgacgacgac (this is "GAC" trinucleotides)

for spaced occurrences

tttccGAGGaaggcgtagcgacgacGAGGaagcctca ( this is "GAGG" tetrads)

The content is the number of times the kmer occurs in the sequence and the distribution is related with the enrichment of a genomic sequence based on a particular kmer.

Taking into account that you can search for kmers of any size (the concept can be extended to larger words) the significances are diverse, searching and masking of repeats and mobile elements, preprocessing of fastqs, denovo assembling etc etc.

This is a very short explanation it is just the basic but it can helps you to check papers related with software and pipeline for seraching repeats mobile elements de novo using kmers or also and of course papers and manuals for software oriented to de novo assembling etc.

Best
    Carlos

Comment

Originally posted by cllorens View Post
      Hola

A k-mer is a motif (or a small word) of length k observed more than once in a genomic or sequenced sequence. The order of the kmer is defined by its word size.

Examples for 2, 3, and 4

for repeats

acacacacacac.. (this is "AC" dinucleotides)

gacgacgacgacgac (this is "GAC" trinucleotides)

for spaced occurrences

tttccGAGGaaggcgtagcgacgacGAGGaagcctca ( this is "GAGG" tetrads)

The content is the number of times the kmer occurs in the sequence and the distribution is related with the enrichment of a genomic sequence based on a particular kmer.

Taking into account that you can search for kmers of any size (the concept can be extended to larger words) the significances are diverse, searching and masking of repeats and mobile elements, preprocessing of fastqs, denovo assembling etc etc.

This is a very short explanation it is just the basic but it can helps you to check papers related with software and pipeline for seraching repeats mobile elements de novo using kmers or also and of course papers and manuals for software oriented to de novo assembling etc.

Best
      Carlos
      Hi,Carlos

I have used SOAPdenovo, and the minimum length of its contig is the value of Kmer. I also used Cortex, in its result file there is the following string: lst_kmer:ATATTTTCTTACATGTTCCAAGGGT. I want to had a deeper understanding of Kmer.

I am a beginner. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Hi there

1. Kmers are just words (chunks of sequence) of length k.
        2. The current version of Cortex contains some unnecessary stuff in the output.
        This text
        lst_kmer:ATATTTTCTTACATGTTCCAAGGGT

just tells you the last kmer in the contig. "lst" stands for last.
        fst_kmer is the first kmer. It was once useful, but is not any more, and I have just removed it from Cortex - when I make the next release, it will be gone.

Sorry for this, I've been meaning to remove it for a while, it just confuses new users.

Comment

Hi Zhang

In addition of Zam comments (it is like that Zam says k-mers are words of a particular size that you can find repeated in a genome with a particular frequency that depends of their size), perhaps I attach some references on distinct topics using K-mers for you to read them if you want to get deeper.

The production of genome sequences has led to another important advance in their annotation, which is closely linked to the exact determination of their content in terms of repeats, among which are transposable elements (TEs). The evolutionary implications and the presence of coding regions in some …

The Tallymer software was effective in a variety of applications to aid genome annotation in maize, despite limitations imposed by the relatively low coverage of sequence available. For more information on the software, see http://www.zbh.uni-hamburg.de/Tallymer.

Hope you to enjoy them
          Carlos

Comment

There is goes another interesting reference i forget to attach in the post above.

Comment

Originally posted by Zam View Post
              Hi there

1. Kmers are just words (chunks of sequence) of length k.
              2. The current version of Cortex contains some unnecessary stuff in the output.
              This text
              lst_kmer:ATATTTTCTTACATGTTCCAAGGGT

just tells you the last kmer in the contig. "lst" stands for last.
              fst_kmer is the first kmer. It was once useful, but is not any more, and I have just removed it from Cortex - when I make the next release, it will be gone.

Sorry for this, I've been meaning to remove it for a while, it just confuses new users.
              Thanks, Zam

So, what is the meaning of "fst_r:GT fst_f:G" and "lst_r:A lst_f:AT"? I thought "r" stood for reverse and "f" stood for forward, am I right?

If I want to get a consensus assembly from a set of reads possibly in SV structure, guess I should use Cortex_con? or Cortex_var? I don't understand the the fundamental difference between the two.

And, If I run different Kmers, which result is better? "length" or "average_coverage"?

Thank you for your answer!
              Last edited by xlzhang; 03-04-2012, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Carlos.

Comment

Hi xlzhang

"fst_r:GT fst_f:G" and "lst_r:A lst_f:AT"

This describes the edges going in/out of the contig at the first/last nodes.
                  The first node has G and T edges going out in the reverse complement direction, and a G forwards. The last node has A and T going out forwards and A in the reverse. I don't think you need to pay attention to this though for most uses.

As for cortex_con versus cortex_var - the fundamental difference is one of goal. Con is for making a consensus/haploid assembly of a single whole genome - it delas with one sample. Var is for assembling polymorphism, in one or many samples. If you have a set of reads which you know are precisely the reads for an alternate haplotype/SV, then you have effectively reduced your problem to a haploid one, and I would try cortex_con (or any standard assembler of your choice, depends a bit on the size of your region). If you have a set of reads from a structurally variant region, from a sample which might be heterozygous, I would try cortex_var. There is a Cortex_var google group where you could post more detailed questions if you like

best wishes

Zam

Comment

Originally posted by Zam View Post
                    Hi xlzhang

"fst_r:GT fst_f:G" and "lst_r:A lst_f:AT"

This describes the edges going in/out of the contig at the first/last nodes.
                    The first node has G and T edges going out in the reverse complement direction, and a G forwards. The last node has A and T going out forwards and A in the reverse. I don't think you need to pay attention to this though for most uses.

As for cortex_con versus cortex_var - the fundamental difference is one of goal. Con is for making a consensus/haploid assembly of a single whole genome - it delas with one sample. Var is for assembling polymorphism, in one or many samples. If you have a set of reads which you know are precisely the reads for an alternate haplotype/SV, then you have effectively reduced your problem to a haploid one, and I would try cortex_con (or any standard assembler of your choice, depends a bit on the size of your region). If you have a set of reads from a structurally variant region, from a sample which might be heterozygous, I would try cortex_var. There is a Cortex_var google group where you could post more detailed questions if you like

best wishes

Zam
                    You've given me a lot of help. Thank you.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                    • seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                    0 responses