No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIAB NA12878 dataset

Hi all,
    first of all must say I'm a newbie in NGS and a completely inept in forums like this, so dont blame me too much. In fact its my first post...

My objective is to create a pipeline for variant calling using the well known reference genome NA12878 from Genome In a Bottle (GIAB) consortium for validating my variant calls. I want to use a HiSeq 300x dataset (ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/giab/ftp/...01_HiSeq_300x/), and here my doubts started. In this directory you can see folders like that:

- 131219_D00360_005_BH814YADXX
    - 131219_D00360_006_AH81VLADXX
    - 131223_D00360_007_BH88WKADXX
    - 131223_D00360_008_AH88U0ADXX

... and so on until 14 folders. I understand every folder its a run, so I went to the newest run, "131219_D00360_005_BH814YADXX", that contains 6 samples. Cant understand how and why that samples were generated. I think they were obtained from the same library (right?), so theoretically in each sample are covered the same regions. can I merge all R1 and all R2 of all samples together in an unique R1 and R2, or should I use just one sample?

The principal problem here it's i don't understand the "sample " concept. If it's the same individual, why making 6 samples when you could just sequencing one.

I hope I have explained clearly enough my doubts, thank you in advice

NielQC
    Last edited by NielQC; 11-09-2016, 10:48 AM.

Hi NielQC,
    You should read ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/giab/ftp/...nd_NA12878.txt that will help you to understand
    It seems like to be a sequencing of trio then if it's not the same sample you can t merge files from different samples
    Best regards

Comment

As a side note, the reason why you sequence one sample more than once is that you usually do want to have some replicates, i.e. statistical power in the subsequent analyses. This doesn't apply to every case in NGS science, but it usually does.
      For example, if you were to calculate the differentially expressed genes and had just 1 sequencing run per condition, your p-values of the differentially expressed genes would be very high. With 2 replicates per sample, they would be a bit lower and you might have some statistical confirmation that those genes are indeed differentially expressed.

This was just an example, but the concept of replicates is very important in NGS (as it is in many science aspects), because sequencing errors happen!
      Last edited by Macspider; 11-10-2016, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses