Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Required oligo purity for homemade library preps?

Hi, we are gearing up to make some home-made libraries with custom oligos. I have never ordered oligos for library construction, what are the purity requirements? HPLC, PAGE purification? Is there a difference between the ligation adapters and the PCR primers in terms of purity? Will desalted primers be OK for PCR?

The best answer is that if you're having primers synthesized for Next Gen sequencing, regardless of platform, then they should be HPLC purified or better. The reason is that primers are synthesized 3' -> 5', so if the 5' end is missing a base or two then that can negatively affect sequencing.

Stating that, I know a lot of people who have ordered primers for amplicon libraries without HPLC purification, and they haven't had significant issues. In some ways it comes down to how tolerant are you to failure; HPLC purification will generally guarantee you that your primers are good while the extra cost may not be worth it if you're fine with having some samples run poorly on occasion.

Comment

Thanks! My tolerance of failure is dwindling in parallel to my startup money, so I'll spend the extra bucks.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses