Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normalization for NGS count data with high variance between observations / uneven com

Dear community,

we have a MiSeq 16S-dataset featuring samples from enrichment studies, i.e. communities from a time series in which some OTUs become dominant over time, e.g. up to 90% of all reads. The biological question would to find a) which OTUs respond to different enrichment strategies and b) when they start to enrich. I guess, this qualifies as a expression analysis to detect differentially expressed OTUs.

Thus, we need to normalize the data due to highly variable sequence depths (20,000 to 70, 000 reads) and to validate our post-hoc analysis.

I tried percentile-based normalization like CSS but i have just learned the hard way, that they are not suited for this dataset (as they typically want to see relatively invariate data). CSS, e.g., just took away all observations from the enriched OTUs until the enrichment effect was not visible anymore.

Rarefying is inadmissable as McMurdie & Holmes told us.

Total-Sum-Scaling (i.e. scaling to all reads in a sample) is dangerous because it is sensitive to compositional effects (as our samples tend to become very uneven over time).

Any ideas how to best treat the data would be greatly appreciated.

I posted the same question to the QIIME and Biostars forums, but got few answers which sums up to "There is no real answer to your problem".

I was pointed to ANCOM (and texmexseq), which are nice tools, but they either dont say anything about normalization or do it internally.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses