Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to sort and index a bam file?

Hi all,

I have a large number of bam files from multiple individuals. I need to call snps on them using mpileup. When I sort and index with samtools, the I/O goes crazy on my cluster. Is the sorting/indexing necessary or does it just speed things up?

Thanks,

Almost certainly necessary. One way to think about it is you'll either pay this penalty now or pay it later -- any caller needs all the reads from the same region, and it is quick & convenient if they are together. I think most callers won't even call on unsorted data.

One thing to look at: are you sorting/indexing on an NFS drive & can you do the sort/index on a local drive to the machine. That might improve performance.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm indexing on the NFS, I'll try to code the bash to sort and index on the local drive and then move to central storage.

Comment

Likely you will need to sort no matter what software you are using. For samtools mpileup, you actually don't need the .bam index, but those files are small, and fast to make, so you might as well make them.

Comment

one good reason you wanna sort/index your bam
          is so that you can split your bams into chr or even regions so that you can parallelize your mpileup calls.
          http://kevin-gattaca.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
            Yesterday, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses