No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to call the core genome of bacteria

Hi everyone,

I am trying to build a SNP tree from a set of bacterial genomes (the same species), and the first step is going to get the core genome. However, I did not find any detail workflow for that. Does anyone know some software or pipelines that can complete such task?

Thank you very much!

Victor

You could look around NCBI's ftp. Maybe your species is already in the SNP DB? If not, you might have to do all-vs-all blasts and clustering (maybe OrthoMCL) to find out the shared genes. What you want might be possible with eutils too. Oh and there's this pipeline called HAL that might do what you want..
    Last edited by rhinoceros; 08-05-2013, 10:17 AM.
    savetherhino.org

Comment

How many genomes are you working with? And are you working with assemblies or raw reads?

For a smaller number of genome assemblies, you could do whole genome alignments with Mugsy (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mugsy/files/) or ProgressiveMauve (http://gel.ahabs.wisc.edu/mauve/), filter for blocks that are common to all genomes, then infer a phylogeny from the concatenated alignment? Is that what you had in mind?

Jason

Comment

Hi rhinoceros,

Thank you for your reply. The aim of my project is to distinguish outbreak strains, so I have to do the analysis by myself. The HAL pipeline is what I want exactly. However I am not so familiar with commend line, is there any other more user-freindly pipeline or programs under Windows system?

Victor
        Originally posted by rhinoceros View Post
        You could look around NCBI's ftp. Maybe your species is already in the SNP DB? If not, you might have to do all-vs-all blasts and clustering (maybe OrthoMCL) to find out the shared genes. What you want might be possible with eutils too. Oh and there's this pipeline called HAL that might do what you want..

Comment

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your reply. I am working with 15-20 genomes, which have been assembled. I am using Mauve now, but I think it is not easy to filter the common sequences by manual in Mauve. Do you mean that I just concatenate all common sequences by copy paste? Which alignment and phylogenetic tools are you going to use afterwards? Also Mauve?

Victor

Originally posted by themerlin View Post
          How many genomes are you working with? And are you working with assemblies or raw reads?

For a smaller number of genome assemblies, you could do whole genome alignments with Mugsy (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mugsy/files/) or ProgressiveMauve (http://gel.ahabs.wisc.edu/mauve/), filter for blocks that are common to all genomes, then infer a phylogeny from the concatenated alignment? Is that what you had in mind?

Jason

Comment

Victor,

If you have an aversion to command line tools, you could try this web server:

You can upload assemblies, fastqs, vcfs, and/or bams and it will compute a tree. I haven't used it, but it might fit your needs.

Jason

Comment

This is a nice web tool. Thank you very much, Jason.

Originally posted by themerlin View Post
              Victor,

If you have an aversion to command line tools, you could try this web server:

You can upload assemblies, fastqs, vcfs, and/or bams and it will compute a tree. I haven't used it, but it might fit your needs.

Jason

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses