• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAM header missing in BFAST

Nils,
    I am using the command
    bfast postprocess -f ref.fa -i run8.baf > run8.sam
    I get the sam file but the header is missing. Is there a qucik way to get the header in there too.
    thanks
    -Ashish

Note: I moved this to its own thread since it had nothing to do with the previous thread.

The header is printed by BFAST and should not be missing. Could you post "head run8.sam"? Were there any warning/error messages?

Nils

Comment

Nils,
      My bad, there is no problem with BFAST. I was trying to have RSamtools package read a sam file and it was producing an error, apparently it only reads bam.

> X<-readBamGappedAlignments('run8_12.sam')
      Error in .io_bam(.scan_bam, file, index, reverseComplement, tmpl, param = param) :
      SAM/BAM header missing or empty
      file: 'X:\Ashish\nextgen\ion3\bfast_processed\run8_12.sam'

However it works once it is turned into bam using samtools
      samtools view -bS run8_default.sam >run8_default.bam

X<-readBamGappedAlignments('run8_default.bam')

Nils I was wondering if there is a way to filter reads from the .baf file based on the real
      alignment quality score.(Also is there anyway this score can be seen in the sam file to filter on later ?) E.g. I would want to keep the read with score 3550, while getting rid of the read with -250 in score column(see below).

@MNZKY:4:144 0 1
      GTG..bla.. :>>..bla..bla.. 1
      1 1 + 3550 255 103 gtgc…bla..bla
      @MNZKY:4:127 0 1
      GTG..bla.. ))..bla..bla.. 1
      1 1 + -250 255 108 gtgc…bla..bla

Thanks for your quick response....

Comment

Take a look at "bfast postprocess". You can also remove low quality alignments from the SAM by using the AS tag.

Comment

I was wondering if there is scripts that are available to do that. If not I could always write my own to shave off lines with less than desired AS values. Btw are there any other dependencies in SAM like number of lines etc in the header?

Comment

Nils,
            I was wondering if the type of quality score encoding would alter the workings of BFast in any way. I am guessing as long as it is of PHRED type, the offset of 33 or 64 (Illumina) shouldnt really matter, since you are probably using some type of additive scheme in you local smith waterman scoring algorithm?
            Thanks
            Ashish

Comment

Originally posted by cdry7ue View Post
              Nils,
              I was wondering if the type of quality score encoding would alter the workings of BFast in any way. I am guessing as long as it is of PHRED type, the offset of 33 or 64 (Illumina) shouldnt really matter, since you are probably using some type of additive scheme in you local smith waterman scoring algorithm?
              Thanks
              Ashish
              It doesn't matter in BFAST, but since the quality string is directly outputted to the SAM file, it may not be compliant if the qualities are in +64 format. My advice is to always have them in Sanger PHRED format.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses