X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• memory issue for cuffdiff

Dear All
    I am newbie to the RNA-seq data analysis field. Currently, I'm in
    charge of analyzing some human NGS samples (single end) in a disease-control comparative setting. I have 10 BAM files (biological replicates) from tophat, each having the size~4GB.

I followed the tophat-cufflinks-cuffcompare-cuffdiff pipeline (using
    hg19 reference) to find the differentially expressed genes between experimental and control conditions.

However, I'm stuck at the final cuffdiff step as the program
    constantly fail due to insufficient memory problem. I always got a 'bad-alloc' feedback when I tried to run cuffdiff to compare among my 10 samples using downloaded hg 19 reference (from ensembl).
    I'm running on Linux unbuntu 64 system, Xeon(R) x5450 3.00 GHz 8 cores, 8GB ram.

I wonder if there is an alternative way I can bypass this insufficient memory problem when running cuffdiff. I was thinking to cuffmerge all my samples of the same group then compare final two single merged gtf files from the two conditions (experiment vs control) but I suspect that the merging of several transcripts. gtf files will mask the biological variant information provided by these biological replicates.

Can anyone give me a suggestion on this problem. How to resolve the memory problem in cuffdiff or use another way to find differentially expressed transcripts?

Since I already got result files from cufflinks for each sample. Can I just use the FPKM value from the genes.fpkm_tracking file for each sample as the gene expression value and use traditional statistical methods to identify
    differentially expressed genes between two groups? (e.g. multiple
    t-test, SAM analysis etc.)

Thanks a lot
    Last edited by slowsmile; 06-30-2011, 07:37 AM.

Can anyone share some suggestions on this issue? Thanks

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses