Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• collapsing multiple genes into a meta-gene.

The end goal is to cluster some time series data.

Using multiple different methods, I've identified a number of differentially expressed genes over a timecourse.
    I've got two possible sets of genes I can work with. ~2,000 out of ~70,000 genes have been identified as differentially expressed by at 3 out of the 5 methods I'm using. Or alternatively ~200 have been identified by all 5 methods.

The 3000 gene set is to big to cluster - BHC can deal with time series data (I can use it on the smaller dataset), but on a data set that size it locks up the machine overnight and then crashes.
    How does one go about reducing the dimensionality of the set? As in, I'd like to collapse groups of genes with similar expression profiles within that 2,000 to be represented by a single metagene. Or are there better methods of clustering time series data?

The bioconductor package Farm, appears to do this, but only for data presented in affybatch form, which I don't have - mines all RNASeq data in an expressionSet.

Cheers
    Ben.

If I understand correctly you want to reduce your dimensionality without loosing information (as far as possible). What comes into my mind is that you need some kind of pre clustering using some sort of algorithm without having much apriori information. So, I'd recommend looking into it using DBSCAN as a clustering algorithm...
    It really needs minimal settings to work reasonably well and can cluster similar genes over the course into one cluster. After that you can work with one representative of those cluster in your downstream analysis. Another thing would be SOMs (self-organizing maps). Haven't done a lot with those, tbh.

HTH

Phil

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses