SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RNA half life issue for transcriptome sequencing harshinamdar General 9 10-19-2010 03:29 AM
Biases in Illumina transcriptome sequencing krobison Literature Watch 0 04-16-2010 07:29 AM
various SMART cDNA methods for transcriptome sequencing krelmer 454 Pyrosequencing 9 12-16-2009 05:35 AM

Old 08-31-2016, 10:56 PM   #1
edwardwong1070584

Default Transcriptome sequencing

Dear all,

I have a naive question. I would like to do transcriptome sequencing using human total rna as sample. I need to calculate the read depth with this formula: Coverage= (read length*number of reads)/genome size. We all know the human genome size is approximately 3 billions. But do we know the size of the total rna? Am I even asking the right question? Your kind advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
Ed
edwardwong1070584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:16 AM   #2
dpryan
Devon Ryan

That's not a meaningful metric in RNAseq, for the reason you mentioned and the fact that even if the exact transcriptome size of a particular cell type were known you'd want enough reads to properly handle the dynamic range in expression levels, rather than caring about an average level.
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:51 PM   #3
edwardwong1070584

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpryan View Post
That's not a meaningful metric in RNAseq, for the reason you mentioned and the fact that even if the exact transcriptome size of a particular cell type were known you'd want enough reads to properly handle the dynamic range in expression levels, rather than caring about an average level.
Thanks Dpryan for your reply. So let me to get it right, in your opinions, you would rather to look at the number of reads/ sample from a run than the coverage depth as we commonly look at when dealing with transcriptome sequencing? Actually, I had a similar thought as you. I was taught that the number of reads is important when handling the RNAse, but, I was confused when my PI wanted me to do a transcriptome sequencing on human total RNA to generate a 30-50millions reads and read depth of 50x. I have no issue with the number of reads but I was confused with the read depth. How should I calculate the depth? Can I use the normal human genome size (~3billions) for it?

Thanks again for the advice
Ed
edwardwong1070584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:04 PM   #4
dpryan
Devon Ryan

Just ignore the "50x" part, there's no worthwhile way to calculate it (if your PI complains, just send him/her here to ask).
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote