No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illumina HiSeq2500 Pipeline Question

Hi there,
    I have just received my Illumina HiSeq data back. I have 2x250bp runs (so forward and reverse reads).

I ran a FASTQC and found that I have an adaptor sequence present in my data. Should I first remove the adaptors then merge my forward and reverse reads using FLASh? Or should I merge first, then remove the adaptors and trim at the same time (using trimmomatic).
    Thank you!

Remove the adapters first.

Note that for the reads that have adapters, the fragment length is less than 250 bp, and your forward and reverse reads, after adapter removal, should be reverse complements of each other.

Comment

Originally posted by mastal View Post
      Remove the adapters first.

Note that for the reads that have adapters, the fragment length is less than 250 bp, and your forward and reverse reads, after adapter removal, should be reverse complements of each other.

So should I first use trimmomatic then to remove the adaptors and to overall trim the sequences at once? Then merge?

Thank you!

Comment

Merging the reads into one file depends on the task that you are working on.

and also do some quality control on the sequences.

Please FastQC to check the quality of after each trimming and/or quality control trimming.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapages View Post
          Merging the reads into one file depends on the task that you are working on.

and also do some quality control on the sequences.

Please FastQC to check the quality of after each trimming and/or quality control trimming.
          Okay thanks!!
          I am planning on doing cutadapt to remove the adaptor sequences. Then I will merge my sequences and then Trim them using trimmomatic so that I can blast them against the NCBI-nr database. This is an environmental metagenomics sample and I'm looking to see what bacterial species are present in certain environments.

Comment

I used FLASH v1.2.11 to merge forward and reverse reads from a HiSeq4000 run on environmental DNA (estimated frag length 280-700 bp, read length 150 nt) and am obtaining really low read overlap ~18.40% (counting both innie and outie pairs). Is this to be expected? Any help/insight would be appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by lwebs View Post
              I used FLASH v1.2.11 to merge forward and reverse reads from a HiSeq4000 run on environmental DNA (estimated frag length 280-700 bp, read length 150 nt) and am obtaining really low read overlap ~18.40% (counting both innie and outie pairs). Is this to be expected? Any help/insight would be appreciated!
              Looking at your fragment lengths it sounds reasonable. Once your fragment size goes over ~ 300 bp R1/R2 will no longer overlap at 150 bp length.

You could try BBMerge from bbmap suite to see if that does any better in terms of getting better merging.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses