No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pooling strategy for selective sweeps

Hi all!

i'm working on a project based on the whole-genome resequencing of pooled populations with the aim of detecting selective sweeps. Initially, we look at three already published and similar works where no more than 20 individuals were included in each pool and sequenced to 5-10x coverage. But recently I have read som papers focused on pooling strategy for population genomics and they talk about a minimum of 25 individuals (diplod) sequenced to at least 20-30x, which is significantly more economic effort.

Can someone help me with this issue?

thanks!!

Is the pool of 25 individuals sequenced to 20-30X, or each individual in the pool sequenced to 20-30X? At that point of low individuals, it makes more sense to include more individuals to capture the allelic diversity of the population rather than increasing the accuracy of the allele frequency from 99.9% to 99.95% with the high coverage per individual. Given a particular budget I would rather see 100 individuals pooled and sequenced to 200X total, or 50 individuals sequenced to 5X each, rather than 25 individuals pooled and sequenced to 20-30X each.
    Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

pooling strategy

hi!

no, the 20-30x coverage is for each pool, not the individual coverage

Comment

Well, with 20 individuals at 5X total coverage, your minor allele frequency will be 0% or 20% and be very sensitive to random sampling bias. Seems like this will decrease your power to detect sweeps and increase the region size if one is detected.

Since I develop genotyping by sequencing methods, I always think genotyping by sequencing is the answer! You could sequence 100 bp every 2 kb and likely find a polymorphic marker in every haplotype block, and then devote the reduction in sequence space to getting better coverage. So rather than 20 individuals at 5X coverage total, do 40 individuals at 50X coverage and get much better estimations of allele frequencies from the data.
        Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses