No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solexa/helicos

Hi all,

I am graduate student from New York working on a project related to assembler. In order to get idea of how things work in assembler, I download velvet and i am trying to run it on different data types such as ABI solid, Helicos and Solexa.
    I ran ABI solid on velvet and it worked. However, I didn't find solexa and Helicos data from the net. Could anyone upload some test data w.r.t Helicos, Solexa or point me to the right place from where i can download some sample data to run it in velvet.

Thanks,
    Chandu

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hi all,

I am graduate student from New York working on a project related to assembler. In order to get idea of how things work in assembler, I download velvet and i am trying to run it on different data types such as ABI solid, Helicos and Solexa.
    I ran ABI solid on velvet and it worked. However, I didn't find solexa and Helicos data from the net. Could anyone upload some test data w.r.t Helicos, Solexa or point me to the right place from where i can download some sample data to run it in velvet.

Thanks,
    Chandu
    There are lots of resources on the website of NCBI:

The Sequence Read Archive (SRA) stores sequencing data from the next generation of sequencing platforms including Roche 454 GS System®, Illumina Genome Analyzer®, Applied Biosystems SOLiD® System, Helicos Heliscope®, and others.

For example, you can get the sequencing data of an illumina run through:
    ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sra/static/SRX003/SRX003935/

Hope this info helps.
    Xi
    Xi Wang

Comment

Regarding change of file formats..!!

Thanks for the reply..The solexa data was helpful..

On a separate note, I have some more questions..

1. I couldn't find helicos data in the above links...Could you please help with this..??
      2. One more question is regarding the change of file formats (from solexa to fasta, from helicos to fasta).. Are there any scripts or tools for this? If yes, could you please point me to those resources or links..??

Thanks,
      Chandu

Comment

Chandu,
        You'll find Helicos datasets here (just need to open an account) or there. It's already in fasta format.
        cheers,
        s.

Comment

Steven,

Thanks a lot for the helicos data..

I have some more data which has to be converted to fasta format..So I need a converter or some scripts which basically converts from different formats to fasta format.. could you please help me on this conversion part..??

Thanks,
          Chandu

Comment

Steven,

Thanks a lot for the helicos data..

I have some more data which has to be converted to fasta format..So I need a converter or some scripts which basically converts from different formats to fasta format.. could you please help me on this conversion part..??

Thanks,
            Chandu

What is the format of the data you already have? Could you please paste a head of the data here?
            Xi Wang

Comment

If the answer is not in a previous threads (like this one or this one), i would suggest to open a new thread with a relevant title, specifying the formats you want to convert into fasta.
              cheers,
              s.

Comment

@xi

This is a first 10 lines of fastq file....I downloaded it from the net..this has to converted to fasta file..

@SRR015348.1 HWUSI-BETA8_3:8:1:441:264 length=32
                AACGGACCCCTTCACTCTGGCCTCCTGTAGGT
                +SRR015348.1 HWUSI-BETA8_3:8:1:441:264 length=32
                YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYTQ
                @SRR015348.2 HWUSI-BETA8_3:8:1:861:561 length=32
                ATCATCTCTGCCCCCTCTGCTGATGCCCCCAT
                +SRR015348.2 HWUSI-BETA8_3:8:1:861:561 length=32
                YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYQQ
                @SRR015348.3 HWUSI-BETA8_3:8:1:687:253 length=32
                ACCTGCAGAGGCTCATCTTTGCAGGCAAGCAG
                ..........................................................................................

@Steven

I tried running the script which u mentioned with the following command
                "perl script.pl SRR015348.fastq SRR015348.fasta"

it throws error saying that "No such file or directory at script.pl line 3, <> line 10600168"..

Iam giving the path correctly..But still it showing up the above error after executing the script for some 30-40 secs...

Thanks,
                Chandu

Comment

Hi Chandu,

i find there is a script to convert fastq to fasta:

i think you can check this script first. hope it works.
                  Xi Wang

Comment

@Xi

Thanks for the script..

I tried running the script using the following command..

perl fastq2fasta.pl xyz.fastq

It ran for couple of minutes.... and terminated successfully..

My question is .. Will it generate a new fasta file from fastq file..?? or will it convert fastq to fasta itself..??

I tried checking old and new fastq files after running the script...there is no difference..

And one more doubt is how can i identify fastq and fasta files..??

Please help on this..

Thanks,
                    Chandu

Comment

@Xi

Thanks for the script..

I tried running the script using the following command..

perl fastq2fasta.pl xyz.fastq

It ran for couple of minutes.... and terminated successfully..

My question is .. Will it generate a new fasta file from fastq file..?? or will it convert fastq to fasta itself..??

I tried checking old and new fastq files after running the script...there is no difference..

And one more doubt is how can i identify fastq and fasta files..??

Please help on this..

Thanks,
                      Chandu
                      You need to capture its output in a file, as it's just printing to stdout. Try this:

Code:
                      perl fastq2fasta.pl xyz.fastq > xyz.fasta

Comment

I didn't notice that..

Thanks a lot

Chandu

Comment

Help me on velvet

Hi all,

I am having some doubts regarding velvet :

I am just a beginner to velvet. I couldn't able to understand of differentiate shortPaired,short2,longPaired.

What are all the parameters are neccessary to run properly?

I would be wonder if any one of u peoples help me in this,

Thanks all..............

Comment

I don't know wether there is still any demand to know an easy way to convert from fastq to fasta but here it is anyway:

Code:
                            egrep -A 1 "^@" file.fastq | tr "@" ">" | egrep -v "\-\-" > file.fasta
                            The first part greps the lines beginning with @ plus the next line (-A 1) which is the line containing the read. The next part translates the "@" into an ">" to comply with the fasta format. The final part greps (-v: inverted grep) only the relevant lines for the output file. Without the last part annoying lines containing "--" would appear in the fasta-file.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                            • seqadmin
                              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seqadmin  
                            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                            0 responses