Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hisat2 reporting of uniquely mapped reads

Recently i've been optimising Hisat2 to work with the latest version of the human genome. According to its manual, Hisat2 reports the number of valid alignments within the tag NH:i:N, where N is the number of valid alignments.

At the same time, Hisat2 also outputs an alignment summary at the end of a run, here's an example:

1000000 reads; of these:
    1000000 (100.00%) were unpaired; of these:
    436566 (43.66%) aligned 0 times
    403452 (40.35%) aligned exactly 1 time
    159982 (16.00%) aligned >1 times
    56.34% overall alignment rate

I decided to isolate uniquely mapping reads from multimappers and based myself on the NH:i tag, here's the code i used to isolate the uniquely mapping reads:

cat logs/run0000.o7572309 | awk '{if($2 < 256) print $0}' | grep -P '^@|NH:i:1\b'

here, the awk section gets rid of all secondary alignments, while grep is supposed to isolate all the reads containing the NH:i:1 tags (i.e. uniquely mapping).

There seems to be a discrepancy between the number of uniquely mapping reads reported at the end of the alignment:

403452 (40.35%) aligned exactly 1 time

and the ones that contain the NH:i:1 tag:

is there something i'm overlooking? why the discrepancy?

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses