SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Threshold quality score to determine the quality read of ILLUMINA reads problem edge Illumina/Solexa 35 11-02-2015 11:31 AM
Can I use same adapters for PE and single read? ein_io Illumina/Solexa 4 11-20-2011 01:24 PM
Threshold quality score to determine the quality read of ILLUMINA reads problem edge General 1 09-13-2010 03:22 PM
pair-end sequencing produces single-end read artifact pparg Bioinformatics 9 03-29-2010 12:15 PM
Single or Paired Read suludana Illumina/Solexa 5 10-11-2008 02:07 AM

Old 06-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
elfuser

Default Quality of single sequencing read

What is the best way to represent the quality of a single sequencing read with one value? I know the phred scores of each base, but I am looking to summarize that into one value. I thought the average could be an option or perhaps adding the scores. Is there a standard or which one would be more informative?
Thanks so much
elfuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
elfuser

I saw in a post that a way of representing this could be by calculating the percentage of q20 or q30 bases in the read. But I think that this may not be as sensitive. Any suggestions
Old 06-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
TonyBrooks

I thought the consensus is the % of bases >Q30 at the final base. You'll also need to know the read length as quality drops each cycle so any Q-score without a read-length is meaningless. You would expect a higher % for shorter reads.
TonyBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
elfuser

I am using illumina PE where I think the read length is always the same. Now I'm guessing you take the final base into account because the quality is always the same or drops from the beginning of the read to the end. Thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
TonyBrooks

Correct. The quality should alway drop once passed the initial few bases where they appear to increase (an artefact of the RTA software). I think if you go to the Illumina website they give you estimated specs of each instrument described as % bases >Q30 for a few types of read variety.
TonyBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
pmiguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfuser View Post
What is the best way to represent the quality of a single sequencing read with one value? I know the phred scores of each base, but I am looking to summarize that into one value. I thought the average could be an option or perhaps adding the scores. Is there a standard or which one would be more informative?
Thanks so much
Well, the quality of a given base is and estimation of its probability of being a miscall.

So you could represent the probability of a read having zero, one, two or whatever errors in it or less. For example, trivially, take a 100 base read with quality values that are all 30. Chance of having zero errors would be 0.999^100 would be about 90.5%. More generally you can convert all the quality values into error probabilities and use their product to tell you what the chance of the read containing a miscall is.

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
mathew

Default quality of single end reads

Is it quite common to have very high number of duplicates (PCR) in single end read should we also drop them or not I am taking about 40% of total reads in an RNA-seq.
mathew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
illumina fastq