No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coverage required for SNP detection?

Hi all,

I am sequencing bacterial genomes, certain genomic strains of which have been published but not the exact strains I'll be trying to detect SNPs for.

First off, as my title asks, can anyone with experience (or opinions) of SNP detection tell me what coverage you need to reliably detect SNPs??

I am also looking at the best possible technology for the sequencing. 454 is out because of homopolymers. I have experience analysing Illumina data so I was thinking of going with paired end 100bps, however one of the sequencing companies suggested SOLiD. I've never used SOLiD data before and hence, I'm reluctant but if it's good for the purpose then I should just bite the bullet...

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Most people aim for at least 20X coverage for SNP and indel detection.

Comment

-- Minimum 20X coverage
      -- when predicting putative SNP use minimum 10 reads with occurrence of each variant 4x, give reasonably good and nearly accurate SNP.

Comment

20x is for diploid genomes. But I guess for bacterial genomes it is difficult to get less than 20x coverage anyway even if you multiplex samples (at least for SOLiD and HiSeq).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
        • seqadmin
          The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
          by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
          02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
        0 responses