Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trimming or filtering first?

Does the order of trimming reads first and then filterings or first filtering reads and then trimming make a diffrence?

To copy and paste my comment on Biostars:
    Do you mean, "Does the order of adaptor and base quality trimming matter?" Otherwise, which sort of trimming and filtering do you have in mind?

Comment

I did trimming of bad quality bases first. I think you can retain more of your reads like this, because after that step more of your reads will pass the filtering step.
      Maybe you could try both ways with a subset of reads and see which one yields more reads after filtering.

Comment

The subset test is a good idea.
        I am actually wondering what the purpose of filtering is if you are trimming reads down and discard them when there are not enough bases left.

Comment

Not sure myself. Generally, I've done

Filtering of contaminant genomes (YMMV), then Trimmomatic with the appropriate adaptors. For Trimmomatic, I'm not quite sure if they trim adaptors first then do quality trim, or vice versa.

That said...what did you mean by filtering?
          Last edited by ctseto; 10-29-2013, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seraphya View Post
            The subset test is a good idea.
            I am actually wondering what the purpose of filtering is if you are trimming reads down and discard them when there are not enough bases left.
            I don't bother with filtering after trimming. The quality dip is almost always just near the ends of the reads, so there's likely no benefit unless you're doing a homopolymer filter or something like that. Even then, unless you have a lot of reads that would otherwise be filtered out, the change in alignment time is likely about as long as the amount of time needed for the filtering.

Comment

It depends on what you want to do with your reads. For mappings I wouldn't filter too strictly. For assemblies you want the best quality reads possible.
              In the case of an assembly I remove reads with ambiguous bases first. Assemblers don't handle them well. Then you trimm and then you filter. I try to estimate how many reads I need in the end for a decent assembly. There are some numbers here in the forum for a few species. Then I iterate the filter criteria with a subset in a way to approximately reach that number.
              The more reads you have to begin with the more you can filter out resulting in higher quality of the remaining.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
                Yesterday, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses