SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
blast+ and pre-formatted databases andreanna05 Bioinformatics 3 12-12-2013 09:31 AM
How could blast contig with multiple databases? arkilis Bioinformatics 1 12-01-2013 07:38 PM
Is there any method to blast in other databases in blast2go program? help!? hugh_hang Bioinformatics 18 01-25-2013 04:45 PM
BLAST+ creating custom blast database and using blast+ filtering features deniz Bioinformatics 2 10-26-2012 11:04 AM
BLAST database error - when changing to new BLAST+ local program biobio Bioinformatics 4 06-15-2011 05:20 AM

Old 06-04-2019, 12:03 AM   #1
tickteng

Default BLAST with 2 different databases

Hi, I have some sequence results that I blast to 2 different databases (one is NCBI's nt and one other local databases), the result comes out a bit differently. The hit were similar, but the number of read that hit the sequence were somehow different.

Is there any way I can do some statistical analysis to decide which database is better? Or is there any other way to decide.
tickteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:45 AM   #2
r.rosati

I confess I'm not sure I fully understood your question. Do you mean that there are certain hits that are retrieved from one database, and don't appear when searching on the other? If so, then it might be related to E (the Expect value). Since E is the chance of retrieving a similar hit by random, databases of different size (total number of bases) will return hits with different E values: the smaller the database, the smaller the E. So, you might not retrieve hits from the big database if the E is just big enough to be above your cut-off value, while you might still retrieve that hit from a smaller database.
Is this any help?
r.rosati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:44 PM   #3
tickteng

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.rosati View Post
I confess I'm not sure I fully understood your question. Do you mean that there are certain hits that are retrieved from one database, and don't appear when searching on the other? If so, then it might be related to E (the Expect value). Since E is the chance of retrieving a similar hit by random, databases of different size (total number of bases) will return hits with different E values: the smaller the database, the smaller the E. So, you might not retrieve hits from the big database if the E is just big enough to be above your cut-off value, while you might still retrieve that hit from a smaller database.
Is this any help?
hi, thanks for the reply. So let me make it more clear. I am using nanopore to sequence an amplicon of pathogen A. I tried to blast the sequence using 2 different databases. The result both showed pathogen A, but in one database there are more reads that hit pathogen A compared to the other database.
If that is the case, is the e-value still applicable? also, how can i tell that e value is big or small? Is e2-10 > e2-20?
tickteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:34 PM   #4
r.rosati

Hi!
Regarding your question, 2E-10 means 2*10^-10, and 2E-20 means 2*10^-20. So 2E-20 is lower.
However these values are pretty stringent, if you have a 2E-10 hit in one database, it'd take a database several orders of magnitude bigger to fall outside an E<=10 parameter. If these are your E-values, your problem is not the one I mentioned, I reckon.
r.rosati is offline   Reply With Quote