SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mRNAseq and SNPs call, how can we make this as good as possible? sindrle RNA Sequencing 3 10-24-2013 09:19 AM
Fasta consensus, SNP call and FreeBayes hugorody Bioinformatics 0 05-28-2013 02:02 PM
Consensus genotypes of SOAPsnp make no sense skblazer Bioinformatics 0 11-27-2012 01:21 PM
vcf to consensus call reference instead of N spike1985 Bioinformatics 5 09-17-2012 08:29 AM
how to make consensus call of diploid genotypes from bam file cindyz Bioinformatics 1 07-23-2010 03:32 PM

Old 01-19-2018, 09:13 AM   #1
SDK

Default Program to make consensus and call SNP?

Hello All,

I've got 2 distinct but related problems...well 3 problems if you count that I'm not a bioinformatician! I've just completed a pop. gen. microsatellite study using the MiSeq. I used a program to call the microsatellites and it did an excellent job. I think my questions probably have simple answers, but I'm a taxonomist, not a geneticist.

Problem 1: In addition to the microsatellites, I also designed and ran 4 small fragment (<150b) mtDNA loci. When you look at the read files there is obvious variation within one individual from PCR/Sequencing error. I have about 1200 samples and some individuals have rather large depths. How can I most efficiently create consensus sequences for each of these 1200 samples?

Problem 2: In addition to the microsatellites, I also designed and ran one locus to amplify a small fragment of the 5.8S for molecular species verification. There are 3 species which appear similar but can be separated using the 5.8S due to 2 SNPs. What is the best way to make a consensus sequence from all of the reads and to call the two SNPs? I have GENEIOUS but I'm not sure this will do the trick.

Thanks for any insight you can provide and apologies if it's a noob question!
SDK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
consensus, microsatellites, miseq, snp calling