Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for "-Q 33" tip. Very useful !

Comment

I got another problem except "#".

fastx_quality_stats: Invalid quality score value (char 'J' ord 74 quality value 41) on line 8.

line8: @CCFFFFFDDFHHIJIIJJGIIGIGJGEEHIIIGG>FHGJIGHIGGIIJGIH9DHHGGCCHE7?B?3;(;=AB9@@@CDCA;3?<A##############

Comment

Originally posted by zhouzf View Post
        I got another problem except "#".

fastx_quality_stats: Invalid quality score value (char 'J' ord 74 quality value 41) on line 8.

line8: @CCFFFFFDDFHHIJIIJJGIIGIGJGEEHIIIGG>FHGJIGHIGGIIJGIH9DHHGGCCHE7?B?3;(;=AB9@@@CDCA;3?<A##############
        You need to upgrade to the latest version of FASTX Toolkit (verion 0.0.13). FASTX Toolkit has several functions which check the validity of the data as it is processing it; one of these checks is to see if the quality values fall within a reasonable range. This range used to be defined as -15 to 40. The latest version of the Toolkit expands this range to -15 to 93.

Older versions of FASTX Toolkit do not work with the latest version of the Illumina basecalling software. In the latest version of Illumina's software they allow a maximum Q-Scores of 41 ("J"). If you are using an older version of FASTX Toolkit it will report an error at the first "J" it encounters. Upgrade to FASTX Toolkit 0.0.13 and your problem will be solved.

Comment

Originally posted by kmcarr View Post
          Older versions of FASTX Toolkit do not work with the latest version of the Illumina basecalling software. In the latest version of Illumina's software they allow a maximum Q-Scores of 41 ("J"). If you are using an older version of FASTX Toolkit it will report an error at the first "J" it encounters. Upgrade to FASTX Toolkit 0.0.13 and your problem will be solved.
          It was exactly what I was faced to, Thanks !

Comment

Still not documented

3 years later, the -Q 33 option is still needed and still not documented.

Comment

The best solution in my opinion is to use the latest FASTX version, which accommodates multiple fastq formats. The only drawback is that you have to compile from source, but it's standard ./configure && make && make install. Make sure to install libGtextUtils first. Both are available at http://hannonlab.cshl.edu/fastx_toolkit/download.html. If you install libGtextUtils in a non-standard location, such as $HOME/bin, be sure to add "export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$HOME/bin/lib/pkgconfig" to .bashrc. Also, whatever directory you install FASTX into, the executables will be put in a bin directory underneath it, so for me it was $HOME/bin/bin, which I added to $PATH.

Comment

I agree #19's point

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses