No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny ReadPrep1 Images GAIIx

Hi all,

I'm new to the SEQanswers community; from what I have seen from browsing this is an awesome resource for all those dealing with NGS. So, thank you in advance for any advice you can throw my way.

I run an Illumina Genome Analyzer IIx, with a Paired End module. It seems everytime I start a run, another issue crops up. I started a run early this month but was unsatisfied with Q30 scores, so I stopped it. Turns out the machine needed a new green laser motor. Once installed, I ran a PhiX flow cell using a 2x33 recipe. Our Q30 metric for the entire run was above 95% which is awesome...

So, from here I rehyb'd the original flow cell and loaded it onto the GA with full confidence. I applied the oil, checked for leaks, wiped down the peltier, the whole nine yards. The first base report was alarming however, with standard deviations above 50,000 for cluster densities. I contacted the FAS who did a share-my-desktop; he pumped the reagents manually and reran the calibration, find edge, and read prep 1. The bottom row of tiles that are imaged showed something very strange. One tile would be extremely blurry, then the tile directly adjacent to it would be clear as day. The blurry images only occurred on the bottom row, but once again, it was not every tile or even both tiles in a lane. Has anyone out there experienced this before? Of course I am in contact with the company, but any advice or hypothesis is appreciated.

Many thanks

JB

This problem is not novel, from what my FAS told me. It's potentially a dying auto focus laser.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
    0 responses