No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot get specific sample IDs in SAM alignment using Bowtie2

Hi,
    I am trying to map WGS sample data to a set of reference genomes (bacterial) using Bowtie2. I have read the manual and have included the --rg-id option but if I am understanding it correctly, this requires that you specify a specific sample ID. I have hundreds of samples and cannot imagine that this is the only way to include that information in the alignment file.

This is what I am doing:
    bowtie2 -D 20 -R 3 -N 0 -L 20 -i S,1,0.50 -q --rg-id <text?> -x ref.Index -1 reads_1.fastq -2 reads_2.fastq -S reads_mapped.sam

Whatever is written after --rg-id is included verbatim after @RG and RG:Z: Is there some way to reference the correct position in the fastq file in the command above to include the specific sample ids?

Thank you!

Read group IDs are independent of positions in a file, so no, that's not possible and would rather defeat the purpose of read groups. The purpose of read groups is to be able to keep groups of alignments together for downstream processing (in practice, this just means variant calling) depending on the original sample they came from, library batch, machine used to sequence them, etc.. None of those things would vary within an alignment file.

Comment

Thank you for your answer. I apologize that I am slow, and perhaps I am asking the wrong question. I would like to be able to identify the sample identities within the read groups because I am hoping to be able to link the identity/location of specific variants with other sample qualities.

Comment

You have the nesting reversed. Read groups are nested in samples, not samples in read groups (though a read group can be a sample).

Comment

Or rather, read group IDs are nested within sample IDs.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
          0 responses