No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DESeq2- How to get all levels of the interaction term

Dear All,

I have two populations (L and S) and two treatments (C and S). I would like to compare gene expression for each treatment in each population.
    The SampleTable is as follows:
    sample_name file_name population treatment poptreat
    L1 L1.count L C L_C
    L2 L2.count L C L_C
    L3 L3.count L C L_C
    L4 L4.count L S L_S
    L5 L5.count L S L_S
    S1 S1.count S C S_C
    S2 S2.count S C S_C
    S3 S3.count S C S_C
    S4 S4.count S S S_S
    S5 S5.count S S S_S

My design is “design= ~ population+treatment+population:treatment
    I think there should have four levels of the interaction, but there is only one.
    Atl_IC_IT <- DESeq(Atl_IC_IT)
    resultsNames(Atl_IC_IT)
    "Intercept" "population_S_vs_L" "treatment_S vs_C" "populationS.treatmentS"

Can I get the other three levels of the other three levels of interaction?

I also tried to combine the population and treatment as suggested in other posts, but encountered the following problem:

> Atl_IC3 <- DESeqDataSetFromHTSeqCount(sampleTable = sampleinfoT,directory = directory1,design= ~ population+treatment+poptreat)
    error DESeqDataSet(se, design = design, ignoreRank) :
    the model matrix is not full rank, i.e. one or more variables in the design formula are linear combinations of the others

Can I get comparisons among populationL.treatmentC, populationL.treatmentS, populationS.treatmentC, populationS.treatmentS?

Thank you in advance.

Xiaoping
    Last edited by Tom2013; 03-20-2015, 10:22 AM.

For the 2x2 model with interaction, we use standard design matrices, and then there is only one interaction term. I recently went over a similar question on the Bioc support site: https://support.bioconductor.org/p/65708/#65709. When there are more terms, we give an interaction term for each level, to balance the effect of the LFC prior, but this is not necessary when there are only two levels per factor.

For your other question, the recommendation is to combine variables into one, and then the design is just that one variable, e.g. ~ poptreat. This fits a level for all unique combinations of population and treatment. This is usually simpler for users who are not familiar with interactions, because you can contrast any groups this way. The other model is simpler for testing the interaction term, i.e. the difference of differences.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses