Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding splice sites: TopHat and SOAPsplice export empty junction files

I'm trying to identify splice sites in some RNA-seq data I got off the Short Read Archive (through NCBI; extracted the .sra files to .fastq using their provided utility). Every one I run through either TopHat or SOAPsplice returns empty junction files, though.

I've tried using datasets with longer read lengths or paired-end sequences, and it always comes out empty. When I input a manually constructed list of known splice junctions, TopHat was able to ID them, but SOAPsplice still returned an empty file (and since the link to their sample data is broken, I can't even test that).

Does anyone know what could be going wrong? It seems unlikely that an entire Illumina read would capture not a single splicing event, and looking at the other files (eg, SOAPsplice's .2seq output) it seems that they're present, but the programs aren't outputting them properly. I could write a script to extract them, but then I'd lose some of the quality filtering.

Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks in advance.

PS: I'm running SOAPsplice with the default options; TopHat is being handled through the iPlant Discovery Environment, so I assume the options are pretty close to default.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
0 responses