SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course in Berlin - Genomic data analysis with Rand Bioconductor - 15-20 September Physalia-courses Events / Conferences 0 08-12-2019 07:40 AM
NGS Data Analysis Workshop & Genomic Symposium in Nijmegen Biotexcel Events / Conferences 0 07-02-2018 08:56 AM
Core Cluster Setup - Linux, Ubuntu, Rocks, Data Storage, BluArc quantrix Bioinformatics 16 10-05-2012 09:46 AM
The software package GS Data Analysis 2.7 on Ubuntu Martin Mikkelsen 454 Pyrosequencing 4 04-29-2012 03:07 PM
ChIP-Seq: Integrative analysis of genomic, functional and protein interaction data pr Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 11-27-2010 03:02 AM

Old 02-21-2021, 01:00 PM   #1
Alireza.Tafazoli

Default Ubuntu 20.04.1 for genomic data analysis

Hi,
Recently I bought a new laptop (8GB RAM-512 SSD) which I would like to dedicate it to my NGS data analysis workflows. Would you please let me know if I want to run my tools and pipelines on Ubuntu 20.04.1, how much disk space I need for working with following scenarios?
1. Processing the FASTQ and BAM files for 20 human genomic data, derived from targeted sequencing panel with 300X depth of coverage (letís say 25 genes).
2. Processing the FASTQ and BAM files for 5 human genomic data, derived from WES with 120X depth of coverage.
3. Processing the FASTQ and BAM files for 1 human genomic data, derived from WGS with 30X depth of coverage.
4. Processing the FASTQ and BAM files for 1 human genomic data, derived from PacBio Sequel II WGS.
May I use my windows hard drive as the output folder for data storage while working with Ubuntu (as I will make a dual boot in my laptop)?
Sorry if my questions seems as novice but Iím looking for disk and partitions configuration while installing Ubuntu (i.e. general disk space for OS, home directory, and swap). However, I received some comments on no need for assigning swap in Ubuntu 20.04.1!

Thanks
Alireza.Tafazoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:45 AM   #2
amitbik

Hi,

Not only RAM and storage space but you need processor too. It depends on size of the data you want to analyze and storage space too. In my suggestion if you want practice yourself go for small data sets and see how it going.
amitbik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:29 AM   #3
Alireza.Tafazoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitbik View Post
Hi,

Not only RAM and storage space but you need processor too. It depends on size of the data you want to analyze and storage space too. In my suggestion if you want practice yourself go for small data sets and see how it going.

Thank you very much for your guide. I will consider the small size data to start my practices.
Alireza.Tafazoli is offline   Reply With Quote