SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MEGAN - changing query coverage? tjf516 Bioinformatics 0 01-30-2016 08:15 AM
BLAST out - query coverage morning latte Bioinformatics 1 08-23-2015 12:37 PM
blastn - qcovs field - or how to parse results based on % coverage of query sequence TabeaK Bioinformatics 5 07-01-2014 08:51 PM
Get query coverage using CLI blast hezichia Bioinformatics 1 03-05-2013 10:41 PM
query on various coverage terms icebreaker Bioinformatics 0 11-15-2011 12:32 AM

Old 07-26-2018, 03:17 PM   #1
pedro.cabs

Default Protein annotation parameters (query or subject coverage?)

Hi there.

I am annotating some proteins' functions and I a have some doubts about the parameters I should use. I'm using e-value below 1x10-4, identity above 40% and coverage above 70%, but I don't know if a sould use the query coverage or the subject coverage for annotation.
I only saw the query coverage being used (the % of your query sequence that overlaps the subject sequence), but it makes more sense to me and some colleagues to use the subject coverage (the % of the subject sequence that overlaps your query sequence). Since the protein with the known function is the subject one, if you find most of it within the query coverage it means that your query protein has higher probability to share the subject protein's function.
If some one could explain why I sould use the query or the subject coverage I would be very greateful (sorry if it is an obvious question).
pedro.cabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotation, blast, coverage