No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incomplete shearing with Bioruptor?

Hi all!

Shearing gDNA for NGS sample prep. I'm trying to shear my DNA into 500bp fragments using the bioruptor and have two problems:

Most importantly:
    Input = 5ug of DNA in 100ul 1xTE in a LoBind 1.5ml tube
    = 50ng/ul on nanodrop
    Output = 50ng/ul on nanodrop, but only ~25ng/ul on bioanalyser! Does this mean only half of my DNA is sheared/detectable on DNA 1000 chip? How can I make it shear more of my sample?

Secondly, I'm having trouble getting a tight size range - the settings on the website (6x 90s OFF - 15s ON High Intensity) gave me fragments of around 1500bp. After some fiddling I got an average of 534bp with 10mins 30s OFF 30s ON High Intensity. Size range is still quite broad though, any tips on narrowing it?

HUGE appreciation for any help

Dear Gingeneticist,

there could be multiple factors that are affecting your results and several modification to your protocol that will improve your results.

For example, the plastic type of your tubes is not ideal for shearing in the Bioruptor. At Diagenode we also recommend using smaller tube formats for gDNA fragmentation to obtain best results.

Nanodrop and Bioanalyzer tend to give different concentration readings, so your experience is not unusual.

If you can contact me directly at [email protected], we can discuss further about your experiment and ways to optimise your shearing.

Daniel

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
      Yesterday, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses