Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downsample data for MiSeq Reporter

As the amount of raw data generated by the MiSeq continues to grow we are starting to run into situations where even this "Benchtop" sequencer produces more data than is needed (or wanted) for a de novo genome assembly of things like bacteria and fungi, even with the Micro and Nano options. If I am going to do a de novo assembly offline I can simply downsample the data myself. But what if I want to use the built in MiSeq Reporter de novo assembly pipeline? Is there any way to configure it to only use a portion of the raw data for assembly?

Currently the default assembly pipeline in the MiSeq can only handle 550Mb of sequence. You can decrease it by playing with the config files in MSR. You can read the MSR Theory of Operations document available on the Illumina website.

However, it seems strange to be throwing perfectly good reads away. Have you considered multiplexing more samples into the run so you generate more useful data?

Comment

Originally posted by kcchan View Post
      Currently the default assembly pipeline in the MiSeq can only handle 550Mb of sequence. You can decrease it by playing with the config files in MSR. You can read the MSR Theory of Operations document available on the Illumina website.

However, it seems strange to be throwing perfectly good reads away. Have you considered multiplexing more samples into the run so you generate more useful data?
      Thanks for the info. Regarding multiplexing, yes that would be ideal, but as a core we have to take what researchers send us. Sometimes all they have is one sample.

Comment

This could be a good opportunity to spread some goodwill around. You can donate the spare capacity to deserving labs on campus, who are truly unable to afford the cost.

Comment

Is this feature new in the last software update? Illumina had told us there was virtually no flexibility when it came to the downstream pipelines through MSR.

Comment

Originally posted by genbio64 View Post
            Is this feature new in the last software update? Illumina had told us there was virtually no flexibility when it came to the downstream pipelines through MSR.
            MiSeq reporter v.2.1.43 was released just last week so it may be a new feature or an undocumented one Illumina wants people to generally stay away from.

Comment

It's definitely good practice not to mess with the default analysis settings. Changing the settings will affect all future analysis, so know what you're doing before playing with the config files and revert them back if the next person needs the default settings. Most of the time I find it easier to do the downstream analysis myself and not on the instrument.

Comment

Can I ask why you would even want Reporter to do de novo assembly? Unless things have changed with the newest version, Reporter (and Basespace) does no trimming or quality discrimination during its assembly, and I can't remember if it properly handles paired data. Every assembly done using Reporter that I've seen looks worthless compared to one's that I've done using Velvet on my own.

I guess if people are just sending you samples to sequence and intend to assemble it themselves, and you give them the assembly that Reporter spits out as a "bonus" along with the raw data then there's no real harm. But I think relying solely on an assembly done using Reporter or Basespace is pretty sloppy.

My opinion only of course though.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses