Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowtie2 installation

So, I am a complete beginner to both sequencing and linux (and thus the terminal as well.) I have been beating myself up for hours attempting to install bowtie2, and I know there is a simple answer right in front of my face.

Using 'sudo apt-get install bowtie' installs bowtie1, and replacing it with bowtie2 will not install because it says the program doesn't exist.

If I download the linuxx64_84 version of bowtie2-2.0.6, I can use the terminal to change the directory to the bowtie2-2.0.6 folder (after unzipping it) but then I am lost. I have heard to try to use ./configure and make.

./configure tells me - configure: command not found

make tells me- ***No targets specified or no makefiles found. Stop.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Looks like you will need to apt-get the "build-essential" package.
    That should get you the stuff needed to configure/compile/make programs.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      Looks like you will need to apt-get the "build-essential" package.
      That should get you the stuff needed to configure/compile/make programs.

http://packages.debian.org/sid/build-essential
      I tried this:

billy@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install build-essential
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      build-essential is already the newest version.

So does that mean that I already have this?

Comment

Here is the screen I look at after I unzip the downloaded file. I also opened a "README" document located in the "doc" folder shown on the screen.

Comment

Based on the screenshot you posted I think you have already downloaded the pre-compiled version of bowtie2 that is ready for use (Did the file you downloaded have the word "source" in the file name or was it this file "bowtie2-2.0.6-linux-x86_64.zip"?). All you may need to do is to add bowtie2 directory (currently the folder is sitting on your desktop may want to move somewhere else) to your PATH variable: http://bowtie-bio.sourceforge.net/bo...adding-to-path

On a different note:

Bowtie2 appears to be available in the quantal repositories: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Quantal_Repositories You may need to add that source to get the bowtie2 package: http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/science/bowtie2

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
            Based on the screenshot you posted I think you have already downloaded the pre-compiled version of bowtie2 that is ready for use (Did the file you downloaded have the word "source" in the file name or was it this file "bowtie2-2.0.6-linux-x86_64.zip"?). All you may need to do is to add bowtie2 directory (currently the folder is sitting on your desktop may want to move somewhere else) to your PATH variable: http://bowtie-bio.sourceforge.net/bo...adding-to-path

On a different note:

Bowtie2 appears to be available in the quantal repositories: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Quantal_Repositories You may need to add that source to get the bowtie2 package: http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/science/bowtie2
            You're correct, I did not download the source one. I will try adding it to my PATH variable (thanks for the link, because I have never done that). Told you I was a noob!

I will let you know how it goes, and thank you.
            Last edited by whp09; 02-09-2013, 02:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

bowtie

Frome 1 newbie 2 1-other

You are on Linux you have two choices:
              1: download the precompiled version in which case all you have to do
              is to change the permission levels to executable (755) and place them
              in an a directory in your path or add the folder to your path and you are set.
              ./configure or make are unnecessary as the prograns are precompiled ...
              To be specific, these are the scripts you need for bowtie related work.

bowtie2
              bowtie2-align
              bowtie2-align-debug
              bowtie2-build
              bowtie2-build-debug
              bowtie2-inspect
              bowtie2-inspect-debug
              bowtie2sam.pl
              and all the scripts in the scripts file have to be made executable and
              made visible to your PATH!

For example, I put these executables and associated scripts in my /opt.bioInfoBin/ directory
              and they are working fine ... out of the box - the only change, as mentioned above making them
              executable( chmod 755 ...)

2. if you want to build from source get the source bundle: bowtie2-2.0.0-beta6-source.zip
              unzip it and descend into the unzipped folder and build using GNU make ... that will build
              the boutie tools ... Below is actually the actual instruction lifted from the installation
              guideline that is available as "manual.html" file in the doc directory ...

... First, download the source package from the sourceforge site. Make sure you're getting the source package; the file downloaded should end in -source.zip. Unzip the file, change to the unzipped directory, and build the Bowtie 2 tools by running GNU make (usually with the command make, but sometimes with gmake) with no arguments. If building with MinGW, run make from the MSYS environment.

To support the -p (multithreading) option, Bowtie 2 needs the pthreads library. To compile Bowtie 2 without pthreads (which disables -p), use make BOWTIE_PTHREADS=0.
              Adding to PATH

By adding your new Bowtie 2 directory to your PATH environment variable, you ensure that whenever you run bowtie2, bowtie2-build or bowtie2-inspect from the command line, you will get the version you just installed without having to specify the entire path. This is recommended for most users. To do this, follow your operating system's instructions for adding the directory to your PATH.

I hope this helps
              Feseha

Comment

Installed bowtie2, can't run paired-end alignments

After installation of bowtie and bowtie2 with msys, I successfully ran the 1st and 3rd trials for the lambda phage example, as explained in the user manual. However, the 2nd part for paired-ends results in an error stating that 'bowtie2-align has stopped working'. Looks like a windows issue.

I have been able to run paired-end alignments in Bowtie, and in trying to use the same dataset with Bowtie2, I get the same error mentioned above.

I've checked my PATH assignments, but maybe missed something else during install?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses