Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiSeq workflow - tissue to instrument

Our lab is new to NGS and we are in the midst of planning our first sequencing run. Our project involves targeted resequencing of 15 horse genes, about 50 kb each. We are hoping to sequence the genes from ~ 100 horses. I'm trying to work through the procedure for doing this, but the plan I am coming up with seems prohibitively expensive. I am wondering if I'm missing something obvious, doing something wrong, or perhaps not approaching it in the best possible way. I would very much appreciate some feedback from those who know better!

Here's the basic workflow:

1. Harvest tissue from horse
    2. Isolate genomic DNA
    3. Using long range PCR (using, for e.g., SequelPrep, lifetech) amplify our DNA of interest in approximately 10 kb overlapping fragments.
    -for 15 genes covering 50 kb each that comes out to ~ 75 PCRs / animal.
    4. Clean up PCR reaction, quantify the amplicon
    -Using something like QIAquick PCR purification kit
    -Quantify using nanodrop or Qubit (I think we'll be buying one)
    5. Pool equal amounts of amplicon from each reaction into one sample / horse
    -i.e. One sample will now contain 75 different amplicons, in roughly equal amounts to ensure representative coverage.
    -Repeat steps 2-5 for 96 horses, resulting in 96 samples, each with 1ng (or 50ng if we use nextera) of DNA total containing our target sequences, for library prep
    6. Proceed with Nextera or Nextera XT for library prep
    -are there alternatives for tagmentation + indexing?
    7. MiSeq

Does this seem like an unreasonable workflow? Any alternative approaches? The PCRs and the cleanup alone will cost upwards of $20-30,000.

This is my first post, so if I've left out any info that might make it easier for you to answer, please let me know. I appreciate your responses!

Alternatives to steps 3-6 is using AgilentXT2 (multiplexing up to 16 samples), Illumina Nextera (multiplexing 12 samples) or MycroArray (cheapest option) custom sequence capture kits. I am not sure if they will cost less than PCR or not but they might save time in comparison to PCR approach. Your total target region is 50 Kbx15x100=75 Mb and using MiSeq 2x300 cycles (15000 Mb) assuming 60% on target capture should give 120x coverage.

are there alternatives for tagmentation + indexing?
    Alternative to tagmentation is random shearing followed by fragment library prep which is more laborious.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I'll look into these options.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses