Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 75bp: high error rates on read2

Is this common? Or there are ways around getting high error rates after cycle 50 for long reads? Especially read2 looks pretty bad!
    Attached Files
    --
    bioinfosm

I need a little more info on this. What are you aligning to? What chemistry are you using? Is this PhiX? If you're using the v2 kits and this is PhiX than yes these are very high, it should be below 5% at cycle 75 for both reads on a decent run.

The reason for this could range from degraded reagents, to out of focus images to a bad turn around on the PE module, etc. etc.

Brad

Comment

Thanks Brad.
      Its PE mRNA seq genomic DNA on human genome as reference. These are not PhiX, but human mRNA samples.
      Last edited by bioinfosm; 09-09-2009, 08:33 AM. Reason: These are genomic DNA
      --
      bioinfosm

Comment

Well first off you might want to use the human cDNA library as a reference genome. The human genomic reference isn't going to work with ELAND very well. Eland doesn't support gaps (read introns). This still doesn't explain the higher error rates on the paired end read, that's probably a chemistry or technician issue.

Brad

Comment

This is typically what I see regardless of the run length we do, ie, similar curves to what you posted for our 60 x 60 and 85 x 85 runs. I don't think it's a technician issue. Because the curve does look proportionally similar (ie, starts to rise at about the same percentage into the read, not at a particular base) I think it may be a phasing or base calling issue. I'm also suspecting reagent longevity--our next long run will use freshly made topped off reagents like the old days just to see if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by basickler View Post
            Well first off you might want to use the human cDNA library as a reference genome. The human genomic reference isn't going to work with ELAND very well. Eland doesn't support gaps (read introns). This still doesn't explain the higher error rates on the paired end read, that's probably a chemistry or technician issue.

Brad
            Sorry for the confusion, these are actually genomic DNA samples, not mRNA. I corrected that in my post above
            --
            bioinfosm

Comment

paired end genomic human dna - 2nd read!

Hi,

Do people have comments on this sort of error graph from GA pipeline for a particular tile, running paired 75bp genomic human dna?

Thanks,
              Attached Files
              --
              bioinfosm

Comment

Originally posted by bioinfosm View Post
                Is this common? Or there are ways around getting high error rates after cycle 50 for long reads? Especially read2 looks pretty bad!
                if i recall correctly we've noticed higher error rates in the second read and attributed it to the lower signal-to-background ratio. i hear that PE constraints on mapping help make up for this problem but i've never seen the data to support that directly.

Comment

Originally posted by bioinfosm View Post
                  Did this turn out to be a rare observation? These error rates seem rather high. We generally see error rates below 1.5% for 2x76 runs with human samples.

Comment

yes it was just one of those tiles. We are also getting around 1-2% error rates for 2x76 runs
                    --
                    bioinfosm

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                    0 responses